Another set of Michelin's Gone at 23K

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TJR,

I think a bad batch of tires would match what you are saying perfectly. It could easily explain why some see good mileage while others are having them burn up quickly.

Hello Jerry, and thanks for the welcome. I know I don't post much, but I have been a member for quite some time (2001) - ever since my good friend Rusty Huggins invited me to a couple of ST functions back then. I don't see where I have ever 'run my mouth' besides my last comment (if you want to even call it running my mouth) of asking one of your 'Respectful' members to not make accusations or blanket statements about people he doesn't know. I too remember all the children Todd had to take of, but don't see where I've made any comments to fit the mold of that crowd. I think I am more than 'grown up' to handle this site. If Todd feels differently, he or anyone else is more than welcome to contact me. If Todd reads this and thinks I do not need to be on his site, he can let me know. Thank you and I hope you also have a nice day.

gator's response doesn't deserve a reply.

Michelin's came on my 02 and were worn out at 30k. Replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's and they still look new after almost 40k so it's not the Trac. Besides better wear the Alenza's handle much better than the Michelin's ever did. Michelin makes some nice tires but they make crappy ones also.

There are too many posts here complainin specifically about the OEM Michelins used on '07 Tracs. Nearl all of the posters have indicated that they typically get way more miles from a set of tires than they did with the OEM michelins.

If some want to blame driving conditions, pressure, temperature, sunspots, etc., that is fine. However, the rest of us know better. The OEM michelins on the '07s were CRAP.

My Ford dealer and a Michelin dealer refused to make any adjustment. They said that wearing out at 22,000 miles was normal. I say it is crap. So do a lot of other posters here.

P.S. .... my bad-wearing OEM issues was with the 2004 Goodyear tires. CRAP tire. Crap.

Same with my '07 Focus. New tires at 23k miles. Crap Hanooks.

I suspect these aren't bad batches of tires. I instead suspect that Ford and the tire manufacturers work up a special (read: cheaper) version of their tires that Ford can then buy in huge quantities at rock-bottom prices. I think the same is true with shocks, brake pads, etc.

Ford, IMHO, has gone very cheap on OEM wear-items.

TJR

I suspect these aren't bad batches of tires. I instead suspect that Ford and the tire manufacturers work up a special (read: cheaper) version of their tires that Ford can then buy in huge quantities at rock-bottom prices. I think the same is true with shocks, brake pads, etc.

You are correct, to a point.

I live in Akron, at one time known as the "Rubber Capital of the World". I spoke to employees from Goodyear, Bridgestone/Firestone, and Michelin.

OEM manufacturers buy the tires that give the best ride possible at the lowest price possible.

A couple of rules though...

The tires sold to the Auto Makers are the perfect tires. The same brand/model sold in the stores are "seconds". This has NOTHING to do with the quality of the water. The tires used by auto makers are perfect in dimension and weight.

i.e. Wrangler RT/S on a new vehicle is perfect compared to a Wrangler RT/S sold at the Goodyear store.

Not saying that they are junk, it is just the Goodyear store sells "less than perfect" (All tire stores) tires because OEM buys all the perfect tires.

With that being said, OEM tires do not wear as nice as aftermarket tires do simply because we are willing to pay for for them.

Tom

I replaced my tires at about 24,000 last year and my tire dealer Discount Tire Phoenix AZ called Michelin and explained how I had 2 to 3 32nds left on the tires and Michelin gave me a credit of $70 per tire off Discounts everyday price. Michelin was going to send me a mileage warranty and never did. Discount gave me a 50,000 mile warranty. So now a year later I have another 20,000 on the truck and the tires do look pretty good. Rotated twice so far. Using Nitro fill in the tires. Maybe I should have the tread depth measured.

Any rubbing or other problems with 265/60/18 on the Sport Trac with the 18 inch rims? Performance doggy at all because of the taller tire?

Thanks, Bill

I replaced my tires at about 24,000 last year and my tire dealer Discount Tire Phoenix AZ called Michelin and explained how I had 2 to 3 32nds left on the tires and Michelin gave me a credit of $70 per tire off Discounts everyday price. Michelin was going to send me a mileage warranty and never did. Discount gave me a 50,000 mile warranty. So now a year later I have another 20,000 on the truck and the tires do look pretty good. Rotated twice so far. Using Nitro fill in the tires. Maybe I should have the tread depth measured.

Any rubbing or other problems with 265/60/18 on the Sport Trac with the 18 inch rims? Performance doggy at all because of the taller tire?

Thanks, Bill

Thanks, Bill

Thanks, Bill

Thanks, Bill

Thanks, Bill

Thanks, Bill

Thanks, Bill

No issues with the 265/60/18 size on the OEM wheels so far. I haven't put but maybe 100 miles on them as of now, but the ride is much better and there is no rubbing or bumping from the additional width and height.

David

Over the years I have found that most quality tires will last much longer if your religiously keep them inflated to the proper pressures, keep thyem balanced and rotated, and correct alignment problems at the first sign of any abnormal wear. Unless you have performance tires with soft tire compounds, tires will not normally wear out in 20K miles

That wear is abnormal and I'm sure there were lots of warning signs that were ignored.

Most Michelin tires are designed for long mileage wear, which is kind of my gripe about them. The have great wet weather traction for the first 10K miles or so, then the soft rubber wears off and you get down to the hign mileage, harder rubber compound and wet weather traction falls off significantly.

I have low-profile, performance Michelins on my Mercedes, and with the traction control (ESP) wet weather traction is still nothing short of amazing with 17K miles of wear on them, but I know they will not likely last past 40K miles, if that.

...Rich

Not sure what "warning signs" you are talking about. My OEM Michelins tires wore very evenly across their tread, all four of them. I kept them rotated, balanced, and the wheels aligned. The only "warning sign" I saw was that they were wearing very quickly.

The Long Trail T/As I replaced them with are not showing any wear with over 15,000 miles on them.

I'm surprised your Michelin Cross-Terrains are getting such poor mileage. I first bought a set from WalMart when they had them cheap, and they lasted 97,000 miles. Then the price went through the roof and I bought something else. My 2003 Trac came with them, and they lasted 104,000 miles before I had to change them. They even passed inspection at 98,000 miles.

Currently at 191,000 miles on my 2003, and riding on my $200 set of Dunlop takeoffs!

Latest posts