Anyone have Deadener in their ST?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have quit a bit in my trac. I used B-Quiet Ultimate Sound Deadener. Ordered 120 sq feet and did all 4 doors (inner and outer shell), the back wall, and some sqeaky areas. i still have a about 40 sq ft left. The results are very good to my ears. Of course I also installed some pretty decent speakers up front, but in the back with the average clarions, the deadener acually made them sound better...with the 2 subs though, i still hear a lot of rattles so if i ever get time I'm going to go back and try finding those....

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I used FatMat on the doors (inside the outer skin and directly under the door panel) and roof. I can't honestly remember if I did the floor or not..... I've done so many different vehicles with it now... I'll have to check when I get home, as I still have the better part of a roll sitting on the shelf. It definitely gives the vehicle a more "solid" feel when closing the doors.

+1 on the sound when closing the door!

Dan - I never did the roof or the floor....JDBoxes had mentioned on here that he noticed little gain from doing his roof and I've heard that before...what's your take on it? Do you have a sunroof? I do and heard that even if you put a lot of deadener up there, you can't stop the noise coming from the sunroof so it's better to just leave it?

I understand that this process is mostly done for the sake of the stereo system, but I'd be interested in knowing if this is also an effective measure for road/wind noise?

I was in my Dad's Lexus the other day and as soon as you shut the door its complete silence (including while driving). I got in my trac after and it sounded like I was in a Dodge practically. I'd like to use sound deadener to make my trac nice and quiet like his Lexus.

Shaun, there is an excellent write-up on the web about that, and i am toying with this too. For that you have to fill in the air-spaces with sound deadening foam as well as the mat.

It's funny, but when i had all the paneling off the back wall for the sub bos, i felt as if I was driving around with the back window open.

I have covered a lot of open spaces along the back fenders with aluminum flashing and then layed sound deadener on it....it does make a big difference.

I too would like to know more about the road noise deading qualitys.

It's easy enough to pull door panels and do just under the panel, pulling headliners and getting the insise of the door skin is a little more involved.

I just have the factory stereo in my '03 with no subs.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=979730&REPLYCOUNT=13&sitename=mysporttrac&LAST=4/11/2007_6:31:05_PM

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=968448&REPLYCOUNT=16&sitename=mysporttrac

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=973787&REPLYCOUNT=7&sitename=mysporttrac

covers all things related to my deadening project and some "scientific" numbers..

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel I could use some sound deadener for my doors. There's a little bit of rattling with the right rear pass. door when I turn the volume up.

Anyone know how other brands of sound deadener compare with dynamat? I hear it's overpriced...

edit: well crap the sounddeadenershowdown page is just a page for selling their own products now.. it used to be a very good review of several companies products.

I used Second Skin

Unfortunately when I was doing the testing it wasn't all on the same stretch of road or even in the same ST so my results aren't exact. There is no reason that doing just the doors would make it louder, I just reported the numbers as I got them..

Second Skin, Damplifier Pro, is by far the best on the market. Below is the link to the best review I've ever found on various products.

RS, no I don't have a sunroof. I did mine because I already had the interior stripped and it was easy to do. I can't say it made a big difference, but it does help deaden the sound of rain drops hitting the roof.:D

Recently covered all my friend's ST doors using "Dynamat". He was apprehensive initially due to cost. Helped to purchase at "wholesale" for him being in the A/V business.

Bottom line?

No regrets. Only wish I had taken DB "noise" measurements before and after. If I had to guess, a reduction of road and wind noise of close to 10 decibels. Substantial.

I had the privilege of touring the JBL factory in '78. (Before the the "big one")

Stood in the "anechoic chamber" (sound proof room). One of the most "surreal" and "eerie" feelings I have ever experienced.

TOTAL silence. I could here my heart beating and the sensation of blood "rushing". Probably a good way of going insane if you stayed long enough.

As far as the "Dynamat". It lowered the "noise floor" and improved the sonics and acoustics in the cab dramatically. If you invest in a good "after market" audio system make this your first add on before doing anything else. Highly recommended.

If you invest in a good "after market" audio system make this your first add on before doing anything else. Highly recommended.

well said. i have all the 4 doors plus the back wall done and you CAN tell there is a BIG difference.

Now only if there was some way to solve the rattle all the plastic parts rubbing together and vibrating cause!! :angry::angry:

Latest posts