anyone tried or recommend SEAFOAM

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erv Metoxen

Reaction score
I have heard of people using a substance called SEAFOAM?

It can be used to clean engine sticky lifters by adding it to crankcase,

or added to fuel via brake booster vacumn hose to clean injectors.

Some people swear by it.

The reason for asking is cause my engine has a sticky lifter.

Has a light tick at start up, but goes away after engine warms up.

Or any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Erv 01 ST

Erv, I have used it when I worked on Lawnmowers. It did work to loosen up stuck lifters and such. We would put a couple of cap fulls into every engine's gas tank when servicing in the spring and also on every mower for the fall service and let it run alittle to get it in the carb before the owner would put it away for the winter. (worked like a "Sta-Bil" for the gas, so it would start without any problems the next spring) It worked for them. I have seen it clean the cylinders. We would run it through and let it set before we would take the head off to inspect the cylinder. On ones we used it on, the "carbon ring" on the top of the cylinder (typical on lawn mower engines) would be gone. On the ones we didn't, the ring would be there. I haven't used it on the Trac but have looked into it. I guess you would use the Master Cylinder vacuum line or such to get it to the intake. You will let it take it till it almost stalls, then let it come back to idle, and so on until about half the can is gone. Let the vehicle set for 20-30 min then run it on the road.Expect ALOT of smoke. After a while it will quit smoking and it's clean. Take the rest of the can and put it either into the gas or into the oil. I may still try it sometime but as some will say on here, "it's snake oil". I have used it and have seen it work but just not on the ST.;)

That is what I wanted to hear.

I am going to NAPA tommorrow to purchase.

Will let ya`all know how it goes.

Thanks Stonemiser.

Erv 01 ST:)

Here is the link I read on how to use it for vehicle applications. If you could, e-mail me on how it goes and if you could, which line you used to put it in. I will try it, I've just been lasy to go out and find the brake booster line on the ST.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used it in boats for years. Does a good job of cleaning two stroke oil carbon deposits. Good fuel preservative, too. I've never had a tank of boat gas go bad over the winter when I've used Seafoam.

Seafoam per MSDS is 80% pale oil and 20% alcohol. Pale oil is around a 20 viscosity non-detergent oil. I can't see any benefits for a modern engine like a Triton where you have lean burn technology employed. For an old carbed engine, the miricles in a can like the old CD2 that were poured down the carb would loosen up carbon deposits but that is not an issue for a newer engine. I know of one individual that did major damage to his 302 using it. Don't stuff it down a HOT engine which is exactly what this fool did. All but one piston was cracked. I can't imagine that a burning oil is doing your O2 sensors any good either let alone the cats. Your money, your engine and my .02.

I've used it on a Saturn with 128K miles. Appeared to clean up carbon deposits. Slowly poured directly into the throttle body. BTW the TB on a Saturn is vertical, not horizontal as on a SOHC 4.0L