back up camera

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha I am considering a back up camera for my '02 Track. I have been looking at a 7" Color Rear View Backup Camera System with 120 CCD Night Vision, up to 2 Video inputs, 32 ft Cable with Weatherproof 4-Pin Connectors. by YanTech USA. I would rather have one that mounts on the license bracket but... Do any of you guys have any experience with backup cameras and this one in particular?

TKS God bless Ed

i went with the one that i bought from the people at Lockpick - it mounts to the plate bracket and i would have rather had one that fits in the tailgate ford logo - it has all the bells and whistles as factory with the 6ft 3 ft and 1ft warnings on the grid

I have that on my 07 ST and I really like it! It is a Boyo VTL375HD Ultra Slim Zinc Metal License Plate Camera (black) CCD. Bought from Quality Mobile Video (1-800-363-0096). I think they're somewhere in California. Little expensive (little over $200), but a great camera. When I back my truck to the boat trailer, I can see the hitch ball and the trailer socket and back strait back every time. Hope this helps! Bob

Thanks guys, I have seen some advertized as CCD/CMOS cameras. Is this just a sales gimmick, or is there such a camera?

I looked for the Boyo VTL375HD and found several for $135 and up. Like Hollyman said- will aftermarket camera plug into the factory nav system. I know I'll have to either buy an unlock CD or take it to the dealer for programming.

Do a web search and you will find more Back-up camera systems than you can shake a stick at.

Many are now wireless. Some hook up to existing Nav systems, some have their own separate screens, and some even have screens built into a rearview mirror. If you do not have a Nav system, or the auto-dimming rearview mirror, I think the mirror/screen is the best way to go.

...Rich

I've had three of them that mounted to the license plate bolts. The cameras don't last in northern weather. Unless you're going to drop $400 on a really good one, don't bother.

I have read stories about having to reset the wireless camera whenever it passed another car with wireless. I think that I will go with wired. I want to stay under $200 but want the resolution of a CCD camera. I wonder if the southern weather ( lots of rain in Hilo) will be hard on the camera?

Ed

I have a wireless camera. Only issue is some interference, I believe from other wireless signals, not real sure. But it is minimal. Never stopped it from working. Most of the time it is crystal clear.

Good to hear Brad. It seems that the more I read about these things, the more confused I get. Is your screen on the rear view mirror to down on the console? If it is on the console, is it distracting to look down rather than up at the mirror?

TKS Ed

I have factory nav so it's in the screen. I have the lockpik setup with video adapter. I like the large image, but I have the factory setup in our Expy in the mirror and that is OK too. I probably favor the nav screen. You get used to either.

Latest posts