bearings

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freddy,

You are in luck. Word on the street is that there is a member going to swap out his drum brakes for disks and while he has every thing apart, he plans on replacing the bearings.

Tom

Axle bearings or ring and pinion bearings ???

Todd Z

Dont mean to thread jack but I'm curious as well. My front pass. (01 4x4, 70k miles) has gone south as well. I'd rather do it myself to save the on the labor fees.

I have read that some people have there whole hub replaced for about $250 in parts but is it possible to reuse the old hub and switch out the bearings in it without having to have them pressed in or out?

Im assuming there are two bearings per hub?

Average price per bearing?

and are they something you can pick up at your local NAPA?

If anyone has done this I would appreciate your experience.

Thank you,

J,

The 4WD hub is 1 complete assembly.... You un bolt it and replace with new, IT is not a servicable part...

Todd Z

I'll wait till that member does a posting. Thanks for all the replys and in the meantime I'll dive under and see what I can do. I'm not sure if it's axle or ring and pinion but the creaking noise seems to be comming from the rear passenger side. There is also a rough sounding rotation comming from the front tires. New tires didn't stop the rough sound.

Just spoke with Ford and they said the bearings are good after further inspection and they said all I needed was an alingment. Im a bit skeptical thouhg because I had an alignment done just over a year ago and I rarely ever use it off the pavement. Plus I would say I have not gone futher than 4,000 miles since then.

400 mile trip this weekend thouhg so we'll see if the major vibration at crusing speeds and wobbling nosie at all speeds still exsists. Never the less Im still anoyed that my tires barely lasted 12k and they are not the goodyears. (stock size)

i do believe thouhg my "wobbling noise" may be the same as your rotation noise. its not a whine but a whuub, whuub, whuub.

I believe you are correct JB, whuub is a good discription of the noise. It is frustrating but I guess we'll have to live with it. I had 4 new tires and an alingment done with no change.

I have gotten used to it but every time a passenger gets in the ST, the first thing

they ask is what is that noise. That's why I keep the radio high.