best motor oil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mo P

Reaction score
OK... I have been looking for sometime now,, and finally found "the ONE" its a 202 ST XLT 73k miles,,,, paid little less than $10k, I have had it now for aprx 3 weeks.. and am loving it....

My question, is what is the best motor oil and best place to have serviced.....

They are asking what the best motor oil to use is, and where to have it serviced. My advice on service is to do it yourself. As for the best oil, you can do a search and find all kinds of advice. For "the ONE" with 73k miles, you can't go wrong using Mobil 1 synthetic. I use regular Valvoline 5w30 and a Motorcraft filter every 5k... but my ST only has 36k on it. I'll probably switch to a synthetic once I get to the 60k - 75k range.

I buy whatever 5w-30 motor oil is on sale at the local Advance Auto. Usually their house brand (packaged for them by Ashland Oil). I change every 5K miles, and will change it at about 3K miles if I am do any signficant towing. I use Purolator PureOne filters. My 2001 ST has 66K miles.

Im my opinion, for natural oils, there is no reliable way to separate the advertising hype from the reality, in terms of performance.

A few years ago, one of the Trailer Boats Magazine tested various oils in some of the new 4 stroke outboard motors that were just then hitting the market. Marine motors are often worked very hard (higher average RPMs, big loads, inefficient transfer of power), and subject to a lot of corrosion issues, so it was a good torture test for the oils.

Pennzoil's basic automotive stuff outperformed all of the twice-as-expensive OEM branded (Yamaha, Mercury, etc.) oils, despite the motor manufacturer's recommendation to use their oils in their motors. If I recall, Valvoline didn't fair well. The only oil that did better was Mobil 1, which cost several times as much.

No question that synthetics are superior. They really shine when you are doing things that would normally stress/break down natural oils (such as working the engine really hard for extended periods). It's just a question fo whether you want to spend the extra for the synthetic. If you don't take advantage of the longer change interval, it's a bit of a waste.

As to where you get serviced, my opinion is: Ask your neighbors where they go and find out who is trusted. Even a quick change oil place is fine (regardless of brand) IF they have a reptuation for doing good work.

You will get a lot of different opinions asking a question like that. I use Royal Purple but only because I get it cheap and hate changing my oil to often. Really any synthetic is good. Most dynos are fine as long as you change your oil every 3 to 5k. I change my own oil because it's cheaper, less time consuming, and I know it's done right. With the extra mony you save you can buy lots of mods for your ST. There's plenty of folks here that will be glad to show you how to spend your money.

Royal Purple in my "go fast" cars, only 4k on the ST odo, but will switch to full synthetic at 6k.

If you can't do the oil change service yourself, ask your friends/neighbors about where they take their vehicles.

I have found that using a full synthetic under all driving conditions is awesome. I chose Royal Pulple 5w-30 in spring of '04, and now running it in the engine, tranny and diff. with a noticable (not significant) increase in mpg. But I figure that when I can accelerate easier, the engine runs quieter, and I get a few more mpg it is worth it. I even found a local mechanic that uses nothing but Royal Purple, and he is now my full service mechanic. :D

I use AMSOIL 5W30 in my Trac. I don't use it because I think it is the best oil out there. I use it because Dad gives it to me and swears by it.

I change my oil once a year and I put about 15,000 miles per oil change.

80,000 + miles and it still runs good.

Tom

I change my oil once a year and I put about 15,000 miles per oil change.

That's what I do too ... never go by the recommended oil change intervals.

Actually, my Toyoturd gets an oil change every 5k-6k miles (once every two to three months).

Free oil is the "BEST" oil...

Todd Z

Free oil is the "BEST" oil...

:lol:

I have some free oil, Todd... only got 6k miles on it!!

Hey, thats it! I have a new scam..er... uh... business...

USED OIL... already broken in folkes!!

2.99 a quart.

Here are you options...

MILES ON OIL | COMPANY | PRICE

2k miles..... (from 2Analabouttruck Co).... $.99 quart

3k miles..... (from Caretaker Inc).... $2.99 quart

6k miles..... (from Average Life Inc).... $3.99 quart

10k miles..... (from Don'tcare Co).... $5.99 quart

25k miles..... (from Caymen Oil Co)... $8.99 quart

:)

got to agree with Tom on this one...

AMSOIL. Not only do I use it and swear by it (3 separate vehicles and going strong) I like the idea that it is made here and independant of foregin interests. I buy it at dealer prices, change oil every 7500 miles or so (filter at 3500) and fugettaboutit.

I have 61K on my 02 and ZERO issues so far. I have AMSOIL everywhere except the tranny. ToddZ convinced me to simply stick with MERCRON 5 for that.

I run AMSOIL tranny fluid in my tranny and power steering system.

Dad says there is a tranny shop in Florida that guarentees your tranny for 200,000 miles if you change the OE fluid with AMSOIL within the first 1000 miles, and you have them change your fluid every 50,000 miles from that point foreward.

Go figure.

Tom

I got used oil analysis on three different oils each run for 5000 miles in my Trac. Motorcraft 5w-30, Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w-30, and Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. The Pennzoil showed the lowest ppm of wear metals. Also costs less than Mobil 1.