best subwoofers???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, tell me something about these little subs dingo por favor. if i got a couple of these and put them in my door could i run them off of my head unit. i have all my doors running off an external amp. but i dont want to add or remove any thing from that setup because i finally got it perfect. I have a JVC KDAVX33 head unit. ill look up what the wattage is on this. but could i run just sub off of it?

It's 20 crappy watts, I think it would be a waste to put those little thumpers in the doors without proper amping. (but I'm not Dingo :blink: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I agree. You COULD do it, and they'd make sound, but not like what I would want them to.

For subs i look to Rockford Fosgate, when you use the proper amp you get excellent sound. but the only way to go are the punch powers, expensive, but worth it!

are you over powering it?

is it in a ported or sealed box?

I've always heard good things about diamond, but never had any personal experiance with them..

i only have a jbl 600 watt amp so if anything i'm under powering is and it is a ported box any other ideas?

they are nineteen bucks a piece on that site. i think i might get at least one and put it in the space where my bag console would go and just see what it does. if it doesnt sound to good i have a computer sub i blew that is that size and has an amp that puts out around 40w. so if it doesnt do well in the truck i can still use it

ive had kickers and liked em but the only ones that will fit are eights or the slim subs. which i dont like. the eights arent loud enough for me and the slim subs are ugly and require to much air space. i guess i maybe could do a ten but i would buy memphis before i would buy kickers again. just because they were so close to the same quality, and i kinda like having my whole system match. before i had memphis everything.

i only have a jbl 600 watt amp so if anything i'm under powering is

A sub does not get damaged due to "under-powering." There is no under-powering a sub. The issue with "under-powering" is that an uninformed "audio installer" will crank the gain up on the amp, to make up for using too small an amp, creating distortion at higer volumes. The gain is not a volume control. The amp should be matched to the pre amp connected to it, via voltage. I wonder if that sub didn't blow due to incorrect amp/preamp settings and then cranking the volume. There may be issues with the ported box as well but I'd like to think that the port tuning was matched to the sub.

There may be issues with the ported box as well but I'd like to think that the port tuning was matched to the sub

You would hope that if the builder/installer were smart enough to tune the box to the correct frequency that he/she would also be smart enough to set the gains properly. I talked to Bderoche last night in chat, and luckily for him it's under warranty so I guess it doesn't really matter.

JD, I agree, I'm considering the possible issue with the gain as an oversite or "I forgot to set it" type of a thing.

I have the same amp jbl 600 running one kicker 10

no problems here, hits nice and hard I put that speaker

to the test every day.hits just as hard as day one.

Latest posts