Brakes Disc/Pads changed; 2 months later feel pulsing again

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Garret

Reaction score
I have a 2001 ST 82k miles and i replaced the brake pads about 4 months ago, then 2 months ago I replaced the front discs. After I did this, the brakes felt great again, but now they are starting to pulse when I apply the brake. It's only been 2 months since I did the discs, what gives?

Thoughts ?

Last edited by a moderator:
did you replace the front rotors (disks?) if so what brand/where did you buy them....they could've warped due to poor quality or excessive heating and what kind of pads did you get...some stop better but are alot tougher on the rotors

Did you burnish the pads in properly?

FWIW, I am at 74,000 miles on my Trac and I am still running the original rotors.

Tom

The front rotors (discs) were bought from AutoZone/PepBoys type of store. I still have the receipt and date I purchased them, but I don't think that will do any good right now.

I've read that a lot of people have warped discs when they do the job themselves, but I wasn't sure if that was the problem.

Caymen, what do you mean did I burnish the pads in properly?

Some discount parts stores have cheap rotors and better rotors..I never buy the cheap ones...seen too many of them warp from heat...

So what do I do now? order some more expensive rotors and do the brake job again?

What do i do with the old rotors then ?

the junk rotors make good boat anchors....... you may be able to get them turned again but they'll prolly just do this in another 2 months..... I'm considering going with drilled/slotted rotors but haven't made up my mind...even with those you have to buy the good one....powerslot brand I believe

If it's getting annoying consider turning them again, but this will definitely shorten their useful life...

Did you also service the rear drum brakes?

I had an issue with a rear drum brake that made the truck feel like a warped rotor in the front...

Sounds like cheap metal in the rotors, like anything else, you somewhat get what you pay for.....

Another thing that will warp rotors is running through water puddles when the rotors are hot.

Caymen, what do you mean did I burnish the pads in properly?

Do a google search on burnishing pads in. I do it on all the vehicles I do brake jobs on. I installed a set of cheap Autozone rotors on Theresa's Pontiac Grand Am GT when her OE pads wore out. The OE pads wore out at about 26,000 miles. Her Grand Am now has 98,000+ miles on it and the rotors are fine. Sure, the pads have been replaced twice since then, but I still got the same cheap Autozone rotors.

Burnishing the pads essentially just brings to rotors and pads up to full operting temperature using a series of sequentially hard braking, WITHOUT ACTAULLY STOPPING, with a cool down period between the braking. I usually quit the process when I get smoke off the brakes.

Do a google search on "Burnishing brakes".

Something else to consider is the pads you are using. I prefer Carbon Metallic pads by Performance Friction. Many people do not like them becuse of the black dust they create.

For me, the black dust is worth not having warped rotors and bad braking. Then again, I am not anal about having a clean car.

Tom

"Seating" the pads, where I came from, but the same thing!!!

Give all the new parts time to break in, usually 100 to 200 miles of normal driving, before doing any hard braking or panic-type stops, unless of course, you have to!

Also, it is important on any of the newer vehicles, especially with disc brakes, to make

sure you or your mechanic use a torque wrench to tighten the wheels when reinstalling them.

Using an impact wrench to tighten them can and does cause warping of the rotors, and can

even lead to wheel cracks around the studs, especially on aluminum rims.

It's ok to use an impact wrench to take them off, but never to tighten them, as most

manufacturers are using the cheapest metal in their rotors as they can get away with!

Hope this helps!:)

Caymen, I think a search on "bedding brakes" will give better results. I don;t believe that it is refer erred to as "burnishing". You are right in as much this is the greatest cause of "warped" rotors.