Broken tonneau cover lock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Carlson

Reaction score
I broke the forward (factory) tonneau cover lock on my 2005 this past weekend. Anybody ever replace one of these on their own?

Trust me, it wasn't on purpose. I think one of the latches was jammed up a little, and I turned the key too hard (or too far?) and broke the innards of the lock mechanism. It turns a full 180 degrees now without pulling the latch release cables.

maybe you just broke the cable ?????

Todd Z

Actually, I have never heard of anyone who actually broke the cable. Even if one of the cables broke it would still open the one corner latch with the good cable and the lock would not spin.

The cable pull mechanism that attaches to the bottom of the lock cylinder is broken. The little hook that links the key cylinder to the cables is about as thick as a finger nail and the very tip of the hook breaks off too easily. When the hook breaks the lock turns but the lock cylinder is not longer connected to the cable pulling drum and nothing happens.

The only cure is to replace the cable assembly which includes both cables and the assembly that attaches to the bottom of the lock cylinder.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich,

You described the problem exactly. I didn't know if I needed to replace the lock cylinder and the cable assembly or just the cable assembly itself.

Looks like I have the answer now. Thanks.

kefguy,

you will need to replace the cable assemby which includes both cables and the plastic assembly that mounts to the bottom of the lock cylinder. The lock cylinder is fine, it's just the plastic parts that pull the cables that is broken. Unfortunately, you cannot just buy the broken part, the plastic housing only comes with new cables. I understand that the price for a set of cables is about $50-$60.

...Rich

I've done the same thing. For as often as I need to remove the cover or open the cover on the cab side, I shimmy into the bed and manually operate the release. PITA, but it's not really worth $50. If I could get a replacement for $20-25, I'd do it. Otherwise.... na.

Had a project on here where someone did a manual release conversion with

like a bedcap twist and release handle and a couple of brackets. Anyone remember

this?