Burnout Contest @ Louisville

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q-

No assistance at all, all posted runs are on pure power.

NYJohn-

Way to jump to the wrong conclusion, buddy. Whilst Todd Z was in California at the media test/show off of the '07 ST, he saw, heard, and did things that he simply cannot say. Ford has sworn him to secrecy of sorts. On of those things is possibly how to completly defeat and bypass the traction control system. For liability reasons, Ford doesn't want this information known. I happen to be at the right place at the right time to hear enough information to know the basics on how to bypass the TCS, but, since this information might be sensitive, I won't disclose it. You'll have to ask Todd Z yourself or let him post it on his own to know.

Tiger - I don't think I'm jumping to conclusions- It's very obvious- Certain people can have information, while others can't. Plain & simple. I guess I should have taken the 1,000 mile run to Louisville and then possibly I'd have the answer to my question. This all seems a little silly to me. I've asked Todd before about the traction control and got the same answer- "sworn to secrecy" I don't undrstand how we can all sit here everyday and talk about things like Xcal, and air filter mods, and exhaust mods, etc, but can't speak of the tration control. Maybe I'm just over sensative with this issue as I'm the only one so far looking to disable traction control. Wait untill one of you guys go out and get a brand new 2007 and can't even do a simple a burnout, you'll feel the same as me. When I test drove the ST my salesman told that trac cont could be turned off by pressing the button on the dash- yes that works to a certain point but not completely. Seriously, if I had known this was going to be such a problem, I would have kept my 2001. And BTW - there is no fuse according to the owners manual and xcal does nothing for traction control. I'm still waiting for a response from Wayne about disabling trac cont through Xcal.

NYJohn, I don't think it's anything like what you're concluding. I suspect that Todd Z was given info by Ford that they asked him to keep to himself, and Todd knows that if he were to break that trust and word of it got out, he likely wouldn't be given access to such Ford information again. Most of what he gets when he talks to them, he is able to share, and does so--much to our appreciation.

I personally would rather have him continue to keep the secrets that he promised to keep, if it continues to get him (and us!) access to the other information that he is able to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, BillV. I just happen to be at the right place at the right time to hear the basics of how to disable it. Todd still did not disclose exactly what to do, mind you, but more then what has ever been posted here.

NYJohn, NO ONE on here, except Todd Z, knows how to disable the traction control. Do you think you're the only one not in the know? Far from it. Todd Z was privvy to lots and lots of information direct from Ford....almost all of which he cannot disclose. Perhaps you're not good with secrets, but Todd Z is.

Besides, you can't really run all the time with the TC disabled, as it throws up I belive the CEL and ABS lights.

Ok, I can see Bill V's point about Todd getting certain info from Ford and either sharing it or not sharing and not wanting to break the trust they have with him. I just don't see the big deal about traction control. I can see Ford's point of view that some one could get hurt by disabling the traction control and driving like an idiot. But if someone takes it upon themselves to modify their ST, the responsibility should be on them. And I know lawyers jump in and sue, and hit Ford up for millions but I think I could still wreck my ST and get hurt even with traction control so what differance does it make?. We all talk about so many things on here that I'm sure void warrenties and probably piss off Ford, so why be hush hush about the traction control. Trust me, I will figure out how to get rid of it even if it takes the 3 years of my lease to do so. Everyone has a different mod they want to do to thier St. Be it dual exhaust, lift kits, lowering kits, etc - Me, I just want to do burnouts all day long.

Jeeze...where do you think Todd learned the information? From Ford. You can't claim to understand then show a complete misunderstanding within the same sentence....just doesn't work that way.

Something smells on this thread.

Why would Ford disclose secretive or potentially incriminating information to Todd? I don't know Todd and I'm not slamming him, but how much sense does it make for a huge multinational company to disclose trade secrets or legally-liable issues to a website visitor?

I think NY John has a good point here. I'm not saying that Todd should be breaking trust that others have given him, but if someone knows something about a product it should be shared somehow on a product's enthusiast site.

Why would Ford disclose secretive or potentially incriminating information to Todd?

Because Todd went to California on Fords bill to review the Sport Trac's. During tht time, he, and others took the Trac's into places and situations where nobody would do. I am sure as a safety precaution, he was shown how to disable the traction control to operate the vehicle in a safe mannor.

Not really that hard to understand.

Tom

Gavin, me thinks the odor is coming from you and NYJohn.

I don't know Todd and I'm not slamming him

Yet, you seem to be rather bothered by his reluctance to "share" some privileged information that you somehow feel entitled to, simply because you visit this website.:wacko:

I'm not saying that Todd should be breaking trust that others have given him

That's exactly what you're saying!:wacko:

The information was likely passed along to Todd from a Ford Engineer as a courtesy when he was invited by Ford to a media release earlier this year. Todd is not your ordinary "website visitor".

Please try to respect that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trac owner to dealer: "I never abuse my Trac.... why has my tranny fried itself at 20K miles?"

Dealer to Trac owner: "Abuse includes things like over-revving and excessive wheelspin.."

Trac owner: "Gosh, that can damage my drivetrain?"

I have to chuckle at contests of this nature.

I don't give a rat's butt about turning off the traction control. I have an '03 Adrenaline and the only traction control I have is the right pedal. I wouldn't care if Todd knows how to get 500 HP out of my Trac's engine by pulling a fuse.

If Ford would put Todd in a precarious position operating a vehicle, and in a position that required disabiling a safety system on the vehicle to get through whatever obstacle that Todd was operating the vehicle, it sounds like Ford was knowingly putting Todd in danger. It also sounds like Ford has admitted to Todd that there is a design defect (a lacking need to disable the traction control in some situations) with the Sport Trac. Either way, Ford is not acting too bright here.

As for Ford reading this site, I doubt that. If they did, many long-standing issues with the Trac would be addressed and corrected.

From my understanding, the only people to operate the Trac without traction control in California were Ford engineers, no one else. Todd said that they were doinf donuts and massive burnouts in demonstration of the Trac's new found power....only one way to do that, disable the TC.

I though little green men in space suits told Todd. No shit Ford told him! As I stated before, after reading the post from Bill V, NOW i can understand why Todd doesn't want to break the trust that Ford has in him. Thanks to Bill V for explaining it. I still don't like it, but that's Todd's decision and that's fine with me. I stopped coming to this site for about 2 years because of all the bickering and attitude and in that time I didn't realize that Todd came along and became "Not your ordinary website visitor" as you put it. Now that I know my place around here, I wont dare question Todd's authority. i asked Todd about traction control about a month ago when I first got my new ST and got the same answer then, as i am now.So, to me it's a dead issue now. Have a good one.

Tiger said:
Todd told a few of us at the meet how, I think that was one of the two things that he was allowed to tell; but out of courtesy, I won't tell.

If what Tiger says is true, and why would he lie, then so much for the "sworn to secrecy" aspect to Todd's knowledge from Ford. That's quite a bit of fuel for NYJohn's feeling that some people are creating "clics" on this board, sharing info with only those they really trust/like/know.

Would be nice to see Todd set the record straight.

TJR

lol I could disable the traction control on my Cavalier by lifting the e-brake to the first click without initializing the e-brake. Many 180 degree spins were enjoyed that way in wet parking lots

Exactly, BillV. I just happen to be at the right place at the right time to hear the basics of how to disable it. Todd still did not disclose exactly what to do, mind you, but more then what has ever been posted here

Travis you should just edit your post and say you dont know.