Car starts, but major electrical problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Scott 2

Reaction score
I was vacuuming my car out today with the key in the ignition and the radio on. Not sure what happened but now my power windows, radio, and power seats do not work. My car starts up no problem but I can't get it out of park. Any suggestions? Appreciate any help I can get!

Update- I can put the car in drive if I turn the key but don't start the car, put it in N, then start it up and it will shift. Power windows, rear power window, sunroof, power mirrors, power seats, and radio are still not working.

Check the brake pedal position (BPP) switch attached to the pedal. Could have loosened when vacuuming. Not sure about your accessory power issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply SWS. I found the problem, it was a blown fuse in the power distribution box, position 1 (I/P Fuse Panel).

Great to hear, got to love cheap and easy fixes. :banana:

Only concern is why that fuse blew. GL

Check the wiring going to the brake position switch.

When "they" mount a switch, or any wired component, to a moving part, the wire can fatigue and break from the movement. I had a F-150 where the wire broke inside the insulation and I couldn't see it.

This noted, it shouldn't cause a fuse to blow.

In that multiple components were not working, look for something they have in common; a ground comes to mind.

If it doesn't happen again - gremlins.

I had an issue with the 30 Amp fuse for the OBD port and cigarette lighter(s) blowing for no good reason, glad you fixed yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts