Car won't start after installing head unit.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Mackey

Reaction score
I tried to install my head unit last night (Alpine 9857), and got all the wires hooked up to their respective color on the harness. When I put the key in, everything powers up and worked fine, but when I try to start my car, it will just click, and not start. A few of the wires didn't seem the same size on both the harness and the deck (such as black and red). Any ideas?

Did you reconnect the battery terminals tightly? Sounds like your battery is drained. Try jumping it and see if that helps.

Whenever I reconnect the terminals, my alarm goes off, and i just heard a fast clicking noise for about 10 seconds last time I did it.

Is your alarm aftermarket? It's possible that there is a kill switch that is tripped when the terminals are reconnected.

Yeah it is an aftermarket. There is a little red light with a button on the back for my alarm, and I thought it was always blinked before but now it's not. I tried holding in the button but that didn't do anything.

Do you still have the manual for the alarm, or the number for the company who installed it? It may be something like you have to hold the button down while reconnecting the battery, or something like that, where it takes more than one person. I'm not really sure as I only have the factory alarm. Try googling your alarm brand and help and see what comes up.

hmmm.... Jeff sound familiar?????