Center console change, putting 2002 trac console into a 2004 trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwbenner

2002 Sport Trac, 315,00 miles and still rollin’
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hey all!

Next thing I got cooking here.....I'm on the verge of buying a 2004 Sport Trac with 117K miles to replace my aging 2002 Trac with over 320 miles that just this winter started with the timing chain "death rattle". Its not bad....but I hear it on cold start ups now. The body and frame cancer is not worthy of an engine pull to repair. But anyway....

The 2004 has that center console that takes the soft bag underneath of it, and the arm rest that always seems to break. My 2002 has the full center console that has the separate vents and radio controls in the back, and its one piece design integrates into the dash on the front end. Since the console in the 04 is two pieces (the larger rear portion where the arm rest and duffle stows, and the smaller console portion that mounts just underneath the ashtray), I'm wondering if I can use my 2002 center console since its one piece design integrates into the dash itself where the ashtray resides on the '04 Trac. See the images of what I mean (the images I snagged from the internet) for illustrative purposes.

So the question, my friends, is wondering if any of you know if the one piece console design in the 02 will fit into the 04 console "foot print". I'm wondering if I remove the ashtray in the 04, then maybe that will give me the contour I need for the '02 console. I'll macgyver the wiring and airflow as needed, but I really need the footprints to be similar.

Thoughts?

Be cool! RB

Attachments

• 2002 center console.jpg
    2002 center console.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 2004 center console.jpg
    2004 center console.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 0
Having recently acquired a 2004 I will be very interested in this project. I don't like the bag type that mine has.

I added a console from a explorer right after getting my 04 as i was not a fan of the gag bag, then had one made using the factory tray by dash and pad, if i remember it was a 98, i tried a steel horse for a jeep but did not like look. the explorer looked factory and matched, just wanted room for subs.

Attachments

• 20210620_122543 (3).jpg
    20210620_122543 (3).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I'm pretty sure you can make the switch with a few minor mods. Ive seen guys on the explorer forum put explorer consoles in their tracs like curtis did. If they got that to work I'm sure you can change out the two consoles without any problems. Or you could go the ammo can route like me! :) Congrats on the 320K miles btw, I just hit 158K on my 02.

Thanks for the intel all!! Much appreciative!!

Latest posts