Changed the belt tens and new belt and now a whine??Help?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc vav

Reaction score
I have been around this site since I bought my 2002 xlt. I love it. :D

I just changed my belt tensioner (Dayco) and put on a new Goodyear gatorback belt.

Easy job 25 min. thanks to todd Z 's project(thank you).;)

Now i have a whine that sounds like a turbo. Not their before i swapped parts.

It gets louder as the rpm's increase but is hardly noticable at idle.

Any ideas on what this could be? Other than the whine the Trac runs great

Thanks, Puzzled :( :(:(:(

oh, I am in fl and it is 97 deg out.

Strange how it showed up after the new parts went on.:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
First figure out if it's a pulley or the belt. I've noticed at work that a lot of the newer belts come with a coating on them to help keep them from cracking when they're sitting on the shelf. It's possible that you just need to wear this coating off the belt before the sound goes away.

It is not impossible that the new tensoner has a bad bearing. Or the tensoner is putting a tighter load on the idler pulley or something..

if a bearing was bad would it get louder as the rpm goes up or would it just be loud all the time? this sounds like a turbo and it sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. Very hard to localise. thanks for the replys so far.

i would like todd z's input if he catches this post.;)

The belt whine is normal for the gatorback belts. It is caused by the air in the grooves of the belt which allow the belt to run cooler and reduce slipping and squealing. I called their customer service # and spoke to a rep. I then googled it to confirm this too. Thanks for all the help;)

Well....even though I found out what i did last night ,I still wanted to be sure because the trac is going on a long road trip in a week; so... I swapped the belt and BAM! no whine.

I put the goodyear back on and am good to go. I can now sleep at night.;) and the trac too:D

Hmmm!

I have a whine too, I have that same belt as well... It drives me nuts, it sounds like its coming from below the vehicle, thus, making me think it was the tranny, but it is not...

Now that I hear this, maybe its just my belt??

Mine whines at idle, till I get to about 1200 RPM on the tach... then it stops... is this the case with your problem??? If it is, that is most likely my issue, and yours.

Gatorback belts are horrible. The cute little cuts across the ribs actually decrease the belt's grip. They remove surface area.