'Check Engine' light on, options for diagnostics?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd I 3

Reaction score
I have an '01 ST, with around 55K miles on it. The "Check Engine" light recently came on. On my previous Explorer, that light came on when the emissions sensor went out. It seems to drive fine, and the light went out briefly, but came back on. So, I am looking to get it checked out.

I took it to my local Ford dealer (Sunnyvale Ford, which is Ford owned), and they wanted $170 just to hook it to the machine to see what the diagnostic code was. That seemed a bit high to me.. So, I thought I would ask here to see if I must take it to a Ford dealer, or can other places plug-in and tell me what the problem is?

If you have an AutoZone in your area, they will attach a code reader and get the stored OBD-II error codes for free. Once you get your codes, write them down and post them here. There are a number of people with the Ford factory service manual on CD-ROM or DVD that list the error codes and the recommended diagnostic test to confirm the exact component that is failing.

A common problem is error P0401 or P0402, which is too much or too little EGR. This is often caused by a bad DPFE Sensor. Ford has given an extended warranty on that part but most people have just bought a new one and replaced it themself.

...Rich

tji,

there's a couple Autozones on El Camino Real or in Campbell.

The dealer in Palo Alto wanted to charge me $186 for it.

Also, check the link:

BTW,

If you're in Mountain View, I work at SGI, by Shoreline. We might have spotted each other around, my ST is T-Red with grey grill and rear guard with driving and fog lights on the front guard....

Thanks for the input. You guys are great.

Fer, yes I'm also in Mountain View. I head over to Shoreline for golf pretty often, I'm sure we've crossed paths. My ST is midnight blue, not much in external mods -- bike bar in the back, usually under the bed cover (iPod input to the cd changer input inside). I have a LNX (for Linux) sticker on the rear window behind the driver's seat.

Thanks for the tips.

After trying a couple Auto Zones, I found one with the ODB-II reader available.

That showed "P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient". So, based on what I read in that thread 'Fer' linked, I am trying to replace the DPFE, and see if that solves the problem before looking into the EGR valve.

DPFE failure sounded like a common event on this forum, so I was a little surprised that nobody near me stocked the replacement part. Napa can order it, Auto Zone knew what it was but didn't have it in their warehouse, Kragen said there was no way for them to get it.

The Napa guy said the "standard part number" for that was VP17, and in his computer, it listed the Ford part number 4U7Z-9J460-AA as the equivalent.

Also, it was a bit amusing that I could have purchased the ODB-II reader for quite a bit less than the Ford dealer wanted to hook theirs up and read the code.. a task that took me less than 30 seconds to do when I had the reader.

You can also get the DPFE sensor at the Ford dealer. They are not that expensive.

Tom

Thanks for the response.

I picked up the DPFE sensor at my Ford dealer. It was quite a bit more expensive than at Napa, but Ford had it in stock, and I just wanted to get it done.

I replaced the sensor, which took all of 40 seconds. When I started the car, the 'Check Engine' light was still on. Is this normal? Do I have to wait a few use cycles before it goes off, or do I have to reset the indicator somewhere?

Never mind.. I hadn't searched thoroughly enough before asking. I see the same question, and responses, in this thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
After installing the new DPFE yesterday, my 'Check Engine' light was off when I started the ST this morning. That was after only 2-3 use cycles, so it updated pretty quickly.

Thanks to all who provided feedback. This forum definitely saved me some money.

Also - one more bit about the symptoms I was getting, to hopefully help people who run into this in the future:

After my Check Engine light went on, I noticed a bit of "fluttering" or hesitancy at mid speeds/RPMs (like when cruising at around 35mph). I also read reports of this type of effect on a Ford Focus forum, attributed to the bad DPFE. When accelerating, or operating at highway speeds, the ST felt fine.

Now, after replacing only the DPFE, I don't feel that fluttering effect at all.

Last edited by a moderator: