Chesapeake parents take stand over teen's grades

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fast Eddie said:
Who cares, let him wear the sign. He will deal with worse humilation in the work force.

He will?

What humiliation will he deal with in the workforce?

I know the world can be cruel...but the workforce and workplace?

I've never been humiliated in the workplace nor have I ever seen anyone humiliated in the workplace, so I'm trying to understand what examples you are assuming.

TJR

The E is nothing for excellence. Its a new thing just like not using a red pen because that might scare a child to much or cause issues with the child's motivation. I can not remember what the "E" actually stands for but its to replace the F because again an F certainly does not motivate a child to learn or put more effort into education. I say this will all sarcasm. I'm a counselor, even though I'm only 24 years old I have seen such a difference in my generation and the younger generation. So many kids feel like they are entitled to success, I'm sure it has been the case for every generation but it just seems so prevalent with this next generation. The educational system has got to improve, not by more test God knows we have plenty of test that supposedly do something. But have higher standards and the encouragement to reach them. Which means our society has to change as well.

Fast Eddie,

I've only worked in the northeast. I've worked as a farm-hand as a teenager, I've worked outside construction (union and not), I've worked the line on a factory, I've been a short-order cook at a diner, a dish washer in a dining hall, and I've worked in professional jobs ever since my 2nd year of college. All in all that's about 30 years of working.

In all those jobs and during all that time I've never been humilated or witnessed anyone humilated. If I had, and it happened to me, I would quit; and if I witnessed it happening to someone else, I would speak out. I wouldn't be able to respect myself if "took it" or "did nothing."

I wonder if this is simply a southern thing? Or a Texas thing? I currently work for a company headquartered outside of Atlanta, and I must say, some of the southern folks I have worked with seem to have an unprofessional side to them at times. Others have emotional maturity that is very stunted.

What about others...is humiliation of employees by superiors/bosses a problem you see a lot where you have worked? If so, give some details please.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
have any of you who are against the public humiliation of this teen thought about the fact that this kids grades are sh!tty because he most likely cares more about his social life then his academic success??

IMO, it seems like a pretty good idea to punish this kid in a social atmosphere. If he cares about his public persona so much, then he probably doesn't want people to think he is an idiot. This may smudge that reputation a bit, but it will also make him work to better it.

im not very articulate today, hope i got my point across.

Fast Eddie--I'm not following you. Why would having a background in bricklaying cause someone to have a better chance of becoming a foreman? (Unless, of course, the job was masonry, in which case, it would make sense that the foreman would be familiar with the trade.)

Bill V,

You are kidding, right?

Read below.

The lore that I heard was that the early freemasons were a closed order safeguarding the secret of the "keystone" which allows the stone arch to be constructed and to be strong.

That lore is under debate, but some think that was the reason for the order existing back in the early, early days. These days, however, the order seems to exist for the purposes of drinking beer and wearing funny hats and vests, etc.

TJR

I was kidding with regard to the lore of the past. But I wasn't kidding with regard to them still existing or wielding any influence whatsoever. I'm not aware of anyone I know either being or even having heard of a "real" Freemason.

Although your description sounds an awful lot like the Elks, the Lions, the Shriners, or the Knights of Columbus around here...

Freemasonry is a fraternal organisation that arose from obscure origins in the late 16th to early 17th century. Freemasonry now exists in various forms all over the world, with a membership estimated at around 5 million (including around 480,000 in England, Scotland and Ireland alone, and just under two million in the United States). The various forms all share moral and metaphysical ideals, which include, in most cases, a constitutional declaration of belief in a Supreme Being.

Fast Eddie,

Regarding what you are describing as humilation; some might read between the lines of what you have said and think you have issues with authority, especially if that authority seems to not have "walked in your shoes." I'm not saying that, I'm just asking you to re-read what you said above and see how some could come to that conclusion.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I worked for several KNOB bosses. I've worked for lots of bosses that I was smarter than, and that I had little respect for, mostly because they had little respect for me.

But I've never been humiliated. I've been ticked off. I've been marginalized. But humilated...nope.

TJR

(Warning- continued thread hijack with long post about workplace dynamics)

Fast Eddie,

I guess you and I may have a different definition of humiliation.

Being dressed down by a boss, even if not deserved, isn't necessarily humiliating. I've been counseled, respectfully, for things that weren't my fault several times. It's annoying. It's frustrating, but it, if done respectfully it isn't humilating.

If a boss calls you "stupid", or an "idiot", then sure, that is degrading and if done in front of others can be humiliating.

Also, for me, humilation is an "emotion of choice", a lot like anger. I get to choose what makes me angry and what makes me feel humilated. I keep that power...I don't give it to others. It is a truly liberating, emotionally mature place to be when one can really do that. That's not to say there aren't things that set me off...there are. More and more, though, as I age, I recognize that what used to make me angry, or feel humilated was mostly about ME, not about what others did.

I've seen parents smack the ever lov'in crap out of their kids in public and say those words "you won't humiliate me in public". Frankly, the actions of the parents, not the child in such cases are what makes the parents look bad.

Regarding your P.S. (if you still feel like reading...)

I am a very fair person, have been a respected "boss" for years, working in organizations with peer and employer reviews of superiors of which I always score highly. I have worked for top 100 organizations with formal training on handling employees effectively.

I respectfully asked you to be introspective in my "read between the lines" comment because your post talked twice about having contempt for bosses that haven't walked your shoes or don't know as much as you do. I can understand and appreciate that.

However, consider this. The reality of this world is that many will work for superiors that don't have the same background as them, and don't know as much about the jobs that their people do as the people that do those jobs. Many people today find that hard to handle. regardless, we have a very dynamic workforce now. People are changing jobs, even careers more often than ever. Gone are the days that a company is filled with people that all started at the bottom, and based on merit and skills, worked their way into supervisor and management positions. We have a different dynamic now.

However, that dynamic alone does not necessarily mean that the "bosses" can't be good, and can't be effective.

When I read between the lines of your post, I got that vibe. I was honest and constructive enough to point it out, and I did so in a respectful way. It wasn't meant as an attack. I can tell you that, but your response leads me to believe that you felt attacked. I can't completely influence how you feel about things (which is kind of a basis for what I am describing in our disconnect).

Here is an on-point story:

I had a "run in" with one employee I was leading on a project several years ago. We had a difference of opinion on how something should be done. He was an employee with the company for 15 years...me, relatively new, less than 2 years. He was an ex-Navy guy, nearing retirement, working in IT the past 20 years and in the military almost 20 years before that. I respected him. I treated him respectfully and professionally. But we had different viewpoints on how things should be done. We discussed those differences. We tried to come to compromises, but he was stuck on his position, me on mine. Ultimately I "made the call" and he was absolutely bent out of shape by that. He called me on the phone, dropped tons of f-bombs, laced with other tough talk and words to "show how long his peter was". Bottomline, I never got angry. I never returned his disrespect with the same, but at the same time, I wasn't going to be bullied by his drama.

Whether I made the "right call" or not isn't really the issue. (I did...time acted as proof). The issue was that for that project I was the lead, he was the subordinate, and at a certain point in time, some times, the call must be made and then people have to get in line behind it. An ex-military guy, if all people, should be able to appreciate that fact.

But for this guy, since I didn't have the tenure, didn't walk his shoes, and wasn't seeing things his way, I was wrong, I was a jerk, and I shouldn't be allowed to "make the call.". I'm not projecting...he told me these things.

Had my call made things go south, I would have taken the blame. As it ended, however, the project went well, and I publically and in formal reviews gave the employee in question credit and praise for his part in making the project a success. HOWEVER, after the project was over, in private and off the record, I let the employee know that I would have been within my rights to put a letter in his employee profile, documenting his early insubordination and unprofessional conduct. I told him I didn't because I wanted to have a good working relationship with him.

He and I worked well together from that point on. For him, it was as if I had to prove worthy of both his respect and my authority over him. Personally, I find that to be crap. The workplace is just that. It's not some little highschool click. When assigned or presented with a new boss one should instantly respect and do what that boss says...not necessarily without input or question.

Oh, btw, that employee I mentioned, he was laid-off a year later. 6 years later I am still with the company, continuing to play key, lead rolls. That ex-employee thought he was Gods gift to the company and that the company couldn't run without him. There was a time, when the company was small, and mostly filled with the same core set of people since it started, he was right. But as the company grew, and as the workplace changed (and more and more people started moving in and out of the company) he found, and the company found, that this guy simply wasn't that great an employee. There were others outside the company that were simply much better. That's a bitter pill for some.

TJR

Bill V, the shriners are of the masonic lodge. 32degrees in the lodge. Shriners are 33rd degree.

Thanks for the info. Actually, the only familiarity I have with Shriners are that they have a circus, and at several of the parades in the area they drive go-carts in stunt formations. (No, I'm not kidding--that's the full extent of it.) So connecting them to the freemasons doesn't help me much. Oh well... :)

Bill V,

My experience with the Shriners is similar, but the Shriners do have a hospital for sick children. They have a large lodge in my hometown.

Latest posts