Chrome wheels..hubcaps

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donavan Davis

Reaction score
I am not suere this is the spot but my mother just got anew 06 Explorer with the cool 18" new upgrade Eddie Bauer wheels only 595.00 dollars what a bargain!:wub: they are they coolest looking chrome whee...er...oh...uh hey them there are hubcaps:angry: say it aint so bob say it aint so.she signed the paperslast night can she get her money back the moroney sticker clearly says 18" chrome wheels but she has hubcaps:angry: any lawyers out there.and yes look on Ford vehicles .com then trot your tail to the lot and you got hubcaps on the Eddie Bauer.:angry: This is like another edition to the Crying Game movie:angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
its plastice covers glued on to the wheel.. I work at a ford dealership yeah its b/s they do that to alot of the rims.

what do you think those 20" wheels on the Dodge's are glued on plastic a friend has one and i thought they looked awesome then he told me to feel them i was amazed.

I would argue that if they were represented as "Chrome Wheels" that you should have a case. Glued on hubcaps do not qualify as "Chrome Wheels" since the whole wheel (front and back) is not chrome. If you really don't like them complain to the manager, then the local rep, then the regional rep, and finally to Ford customer relations in detroit. It may be futile, but its worth a shot.

Allen,say it aint so here in Texas we can go to Hub cap annie 25 bucks a set.;) Mike C thank you for the suggestions:rolleyes: but screw that .I am blowing upm the phone to the local news station that have consumer reporters they have the means and the media clout .I am just a working guy who realized that his mother got screwed by the man.:angry: :angry::angry:

Bpoche the Dodges actually look real and for rust purposes make sense;) on the E.B. you can tell they are Wal Mart quality.The real rub is the price of 595.00 Dollars.... I do not care who you are 595.00 for plastic hubcaps is just crap! :angry::angry:

On the Ford web site, the optional 18" wheels are called "Chrome Clad" wheels, which is fancy talk for non-removable wheel covers. If they were sold to you as Chrome Wheels, then you might have a case, but Ford doesn't call them Chrome Wheels, thats on the dealer.

THanks Tiger,

here is my disclaimer my comments are directed at you or any one else this is meant to be intellectual and thought provoking;)I do not like confrontations I really try to avoid them but I will defend the castle:angry: You know family,Friends

I have looked at the site I did find what you where referring to. However, I looked up several trucks on the locate dealer link and there are several stated as 18" chrome wheels NOT clad.

my mothers sticker pulled from her window is says 18" chromed wheels NOWHERE! does it state that they are CLAD. it smells like pure BullS*&^! Bottom line is this My mother is being charged 595.00 dollars for 18 chromed wheels she does not have .... where are they !!!

My father has 20" chrome wheels on his Harley Screw and they are chromed wheels .

The whole fact of the matter is that it says chromed wheels but she has wheel covers that is not alrigtht... period!

How is that right? btw The dealer has called and said we can change them for a fee and they understand how misleading the sticker is and that they have no control over it.........I have swamp land in Arizona for sell too;)

Thank you to all who have chimed in .You all are great

Go to "Build Your Own" for the 2006 Explorer. Choose the Eddie Bauer, doesn't matter which engine or drive type, then go to the wheels sections, you'll see the 18" Wheels Chrome Clad.

Does anyone actually think chrome grills and crome trim on new cars is actually chrome. Nope. It is plastic.

Tom

595.00 dollars for a wheel cover...oops Hub cap.....just not right period! Uh Oh! better make sure they do not pull that crap on the new 2007 ST:wub:

XLS....... nice machined wheel:wub:

XLT....... nice machined wheel:wub:

38K Eddie Bauer Upgrade Chrome Clad Hub cap F?#@! ing priceless.:lol::angry::(

What will they think of next;)

Tiger said,

On the Ford web site, the optional 18" wheels are called "Chrome Clad" wheels,

Where does it say chrome wheels?

Lets not read what we want it to say and not what it actually says.

Tom

Buyer beware. Most salesmen do not know much about the item they are selling. Research, research, research before you buy. Know exactly what you want & don't want, what you need & don't need, and what stuff costs. That is the only true way to know what you are getting.

If you don't do that, you are asking for a salesman to take advantage of you.

Dealers have a booklet called a sales brochure. Pick one up. Read, read, read long before you even decide to buy. Know exactly what is available. When in doubt, walk the lot and look at stuff. Tap the wheels, are they real?

Lets not put the blame on someone else. It does not say they are chrome wheels. If the salesman said chrome wheels, that is the salesman. Ford does not call them chrome wheels.

FWIW, who the heck wants chrome on a vehicle anyways? Tacky!

Tom

I just saw an Expedition in the showroom. A $52K vehicle, and when I tapped a fingernail on the wheels I'd be darned if they didn't sound like tapping on chromed plastic. Didn't seem like alloy to me. So, that's a thin veener of plastic then chrome on a steel wheel?

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Did not know they were using a plastic cover on the wheel. Then again, I do not plan on buying an Explorer so I don't care what they do to it. If I were in the market for an Explorer, I would have done the research needed to make the best decision on the wheel I wanted.

Tom

That $52K Expedition I saw in the showroom had 6K miles on it, was a demo, and was fully decked out with leather, big V8, captains chairs in the middle, moonroof, DVD player...you name it. It was marked down to $41K. Could probably drive it out of the showroom for $38K.

It was very nice. But man it's big!

Would be a nice upgrade to the 2004 Mountaineer we got off demo, but I must say, those plastic clad wheels turned me off!

TJR

Unless you plan to show the vehicle and need the chrome on the inside, why would you want a "real" chrome wheel?

My Ranger came with chrome clad wheels, and they are A LOT easier to take care of then real chrome. You don't have to worry about flaking, pitting, rusting, or the harsh road salts used in the winter, just use some soapy water and they clean right up. Now the project truck has real chrome....and it's a pain to take care of and in final form, all the chrome will probably be gone.