Clunking in front end? Now w/Photos!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
My 2005 is approaching 100,000 miles. Never any mechanical problems. But just recently I am getting some clunking/popping etc in the front suspension. Sometimes I can feel it come up through the steering wheel. Seems to mostly happen when making turns and there is a grade change for instance turning into a driveway that goes uphill from a flat road. I am guessing tie rods or ball joints etc. I will have to take it to a mechanic as I don't have the proper tools. But I would like to self diagnosis the actual problem. I do have a floor jack and jack stands if needed. What kind of tests or what do I need to look at to see if I can confirm what is wrong?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Its ball joints, they can't be greased from the factory! So until they are replaced.... mine are tight and I just live with the racket! 178k here on an 01

The Usual Suspects: Shocks, ball joints, steering rack end links, sway bar bushings/end links. There are a lot of decent how-to videos on YouTube that will help you understand diagnosis and replacement - even if you're not going to do the work yourself. Put front end up on stands, pull off road wheels and have a look with strong flashlight. Front shocks are easy to replace, rears are tougher. If you rebuild front end, be sure to get an alignment.

I'd check the ends of the sway bar. Our '93 Aerostar had the same symptoms as you're describing, under the same conditions. One of the nuts and lower bushing had come off the end of the sway bar and the end of the bar would come up out of the hole and hang up. It would pop going around corners, especially if there was a grade change, as it went in and out of the hole.

Ok I found this:

Missing bushing on passenger side.

[Broken External Image]:

Drivers side seems ok:

[Broken External Image]:

And this leak in my power steering:

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks

I'd check the ends of the sway bar. Our '93 Aerostar had the same symptoms as you're describing, under the same conditions. One of the nuts and lower bushing had come off the end of the sway bar and the end of the bar would come up out of the hole and hang up. It would pop going around corners, especially if there was a grade change, as it went in and out of the hole.

Good call Duane, although the front sway bar end links are the single most common failure with the ST's suspension.

Moog says the end links I need are k7275 but when I check Amazon.com they say the part is not a match. So I just want to confirm with you guys that I need k7275 for both my left and right end links 2005 xlt?

Thanks

I love Amazon but NEVER trust their fitment guide or pics. Moog K7275 is correct, one kit is required for each side.

Also check the two bushings holding the sway bar that are bolted to the frame. If worn are you 4WD or RWD? GL

I would check the tightness of the fitting. Appears the fluid is leaking from it. If posible use a tubing wrench.

Moog K80080 are the RWD replacement frame bushings, only one kit needed. Check them first, project linked below.

Ford is now offering the end link kits with a metal sleeve instead of the composite, and the bushings are not molded in place. The part number is 4U2Z5V484CA, and they retail for $27.93 per side. Of couse, the original setup is still available as well.

Hope I can catch you before you buy the MOOG branded ones.

My end link broke right off (gone completely) on passenger side. Replacing tomorrow.:supercool:

I started looking for the MOOG when I realized that Advance Auto brand 'DriveWorks' are the exact same ones for around $8.00 less Check out the label #'s on the left they show for MOOG and the AA # above the BARCODE.

Also compare my photo of the end link with the one on the right in sw3shawaii's link above.

If you order from AA online you can use a 20% discount code in the top banner and then select pickup at store.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Keep in mind other suspension parts companies use the same part numbers.

Mevotech and Auto Extra/Chassis Rite among them. I believe Moog is the only

company that uses the much larger 7/16" hardware compared to others 3/8".

Compare Moog's darker bushing color and the washer thickness, very different.

Don't over tighten. Enough so you can barely turn the center sleeve by hand. (10-12 ft/lbs) :supercool:

All I can say is WOW!!! I replaced my end links and the difference in my Sport Trac is nothing short of amazing. Everyone needs to check their end links whether you're experiencing any issues or not. Heck just upgrade to the MOOG parts. I am confident they are far superior to the factory links.

/

Don't over tighten. Enough so you can barely turn the center sleeve by hand. (10-12 ft/lbs)

Is this test with the wheels back on the ground or with the truck still jacked up on the frame etc etc????

Thanks swshawaii you were a big help.

/

Compared pricing at NAPA, Amazon, O'Reilly and RockAuto for MOOG sway bar bushings and end links. RockAuto won, hands-down: K7275 $6.80 ea, K80080 $8.34 set of 2. Shipping $9.32 for total of $31.26. Ordered last Wed, FedEx delivered today (Sat). Impressive.

Latest posts