CO2 tank question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a CO2 tank and I'm thinking a CO2 Tank for a draft beer system to use it to run power tools or inflate tires after off-roading. Would it work as such if I only add a pressure regulator or do you recommend to buy the expensive "Powertank" or "The Source" tanks? I will appreciate your input. Thanks...

Most any CO2 tank will work. Just make sure it has a standard valve, not a siphon valve. Some CO2 tanks are designed to supply liquid CO2 (including some for draught beer and sodas). Any CO2 supplier can tell you which valve the tank has. Any welding supply shop can provide you with an inexpensive fixed regulator with or with out gauges. Get one set at 100-130 psi and you should be fine. Gauges don't really work well with CO2 because it is stored as a liquid similar to LPG or propane. Remember also that the tank and regulator can only supply a limited amount of volume before it begins to freeze up, so some larger tools may not work. Good Luck

Make for airing tires ok but air tools use too much volume. You would deplete the tank in seconds, with out a 3.5cfm@90psi compressor tied to it.

You can run air tools for quite a while from a 10 or 15 lb tank (at least an air ratchet or 3/4 impact wrench to rotate tires... break off bolts etc.).

10 lb tanks can be found for arount $80 + 10-15 for shipping and another $30-45 for a dual-guage regulator, and at least another $15-25 for a hose, tire chuck, other fittings, etc.

I personally am planning on buying from a guy on ebay (when he has a 10 lb one for sale near my B-day or Christmas)... this link is a testament to his tank set-up. Check out this link;

Latest posts