Crappy OEM Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the Michelin on my '07 with about 7K miles so far. Tires seem to be ok with no real wear on them yet.

Interesting, so far I have 26K miles on the Michelin Cross terrains that came on my 07 Limited and it looks like I will get another 20-25K out of them. I run 38 psi and rotate them every 5-7k miles.

Wow. What are you people doing to your tires? I got 104,000 miles out of the factory Michelins on my 2003. I only got 60,000 out of the Uniroyal Laredo tires I replaced them with, but I figured that more than half the wear is ok for half the price. Now I have Dunlops on it. I expect to match the Uniroyals before I replace them.

My '08 has Goodyear Fortera HL's, I have 17,000 miles on them and they're a little more than halfway gone. I'll get new tires this summer.

I really don't understand why people hate on the OEM Michelins so bad. I guess it depends on how you drive.

My 04 is sitting at almost 51k and I still have the original OEM tires. They haven't caused me any problems at all.

I do need to get new tires soon and they won't be the same ones. Not because they are " Michelins" but because they cost $160 a piece.

Here are the ones that came with the truck.

I had Michelin Cross-Terrains on my wife's Liberty and they were WONDERFUL tires. It seems that the 18" ones that Ford uses OEM are nothing but crap.

I've gotten very good service from the Michelin LTX tires I've had on three of my trucks over the years. I've never worn out a set. :)

I have 28k on my 07 and the tires are doing GREAT! I rotate every two oil changes and keep 38psi in all. I should get at least another 15k easy. Oh yea, I have Goodyear Fortera.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the GY Fortera on my 07 2WD, with 39K, still have tread but some cupping is visible, still ride/handle good, MIGHT get 50K out of them, but will see

Dingo said:
I'm on my 3rd set and not even 23k miles.

C'mon, Andy... Full Disclosure is needed here: You may be on your 3rd set of tires, but it dang sure ain't due to having poor quality tires!;) More like the tires were rolling at speeds greater than those for which they were rated/designed!:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
On my '04 STA, the OEM GY Wrangler RT/S tires were badly cupped and worn out at about 30,000 miles. I replaced them with a set of GY Fortera Silent Armours. These rode very well, but wore out rather quickly. They lost almost 3/4 of the tread in about 25,000 miles. Finally, one of them blew out a sidewall. The shop I went to got GY to warranty them for the remaining tread life, and I replaced them with a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires. They've been great. Not real loud, ride nice, and so far have provide great traction on water, ice, and snow. I'd highly recommend them.

As for Dingo, it does tend to shorten tire life if the rotational speed of the tire is greater than that required to keep the car rolling!

I wonder if people in the colder climates are getting fewer miles on their OEM tires than those in warmer, more constant temperature climates?

The 60+ degree swing in average seasonal temps of the northern climates might make for differences in tire wear.

I'm just wondering because I see some of the folks saying that their OEM tires lasted a long time are more southernly.

TJR

TJR,

Nope.... Us in colder climates just drive like A%&*^%*& Holes.... LOL

Todd Z

P.S My self included....

Hmmm... TJR you got me thinking that it might also be that we are more rural down here. My trac is on the highway or long stretches of back roads 85% of the time. Less stop in go might have something to do with it.

TJR said:
I'm just wondering because I see some of the folks saying that their OEM tires lasted a long time are more southernly.

I noticed that too, I think the roads being smoother and flatter has something to do with it.

My '08 came with Goodyears, treadwear is okay for 19k miles. Performance is okay except for braking in snow, which sucks big time and is downright dangerous.

I will get Bridgestones this summer.

Latest posts