Crazy price to line-x hitch and westin bar !! ARGH!! (Do it your self stuff??)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Only 4 places here do the Line-X. After calling all 4 the cheapest price i got was $225!!!!!

I can get the stuff sand blastred, so the prep is not a problem..

What do you all think of the spray on do it your self stuff???????

Thanks

Todd Z

Todd I have seen that "do it your self" kind in person. I don't think you'll be happy with it after a year. It's not very durable, it goes on thin, and fades. I'd spend the $225 it you want it to last. That's not that bad of a price, compared to a full size truck bed around $600.00. -Heather

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I do not believe it would be hard at all. Just keeping an even coat would be the hard part to keep it uniform.

I second Heather's comment. I've seen the do-it-yourself in person and it's "okay", but obviously not the quality of what you'd get if you went with a professional. Then again, your skills with even application and proper preparaton may trump the average/novice person. IMO, I don't think $225 is too unreasonable, but that's my .02 and I don't trust my skills.

I used the do it yourself stuff on one of my cars. It scratches off real easy and you get a lot of spatter (it clogs the nozzle real easy). You will not like it...

Used the do it yourself self stuff on my pick up bed. I put the liner in after a week stuff is garbage. I don't think that is a bad price plus you never have to deal with it again.

Thanks,

I may just buy a new Trailer hitch. Mine was the EBAY special... The paint completely flaked off and is a solid rusty bar!!! Looks like crap... I was going to sand and paint, but I wanted something more durable and look cool too!!...

Tom, I was just going to do the hitch, since the westin bar is OK, but the black on the westin bar is a faded Grey now and has some road chips. I think that Grey,white,black look of the line-x would look cool.....

Thanks people, I may just buy a new hitch and do nothing with the westin bar...

Don't know......:unsure::unsure:

A local shop quoted me $80 a piece for my westin tube steps. That was if I took them off myself, it was an extra $20 each to take them off. In other news, he quoted me $450 each for the bumpers/side skirts. I figured for $1800 I'd live with the grey.

Todd, You might want to try POR-15. I used it on my F-150 frame and on the underside of my lawn mower deck. Stuff is hard as a rock! Very hard to chip. I used black but you can buy topcoats in different colors. Not sure about using it in a bed but on anything else metal (like your hitch, etc..) especialy stuff thats already corroded. it works GREAT. A little pricey though!

Todd, if that is $225 for two pieces to be coated, than it doesn't seem too bad at $112 each. You get a very durable, UV resistant coating with the pigment throughout the material (chips or nicks that don't show). I think it's very reasonable.:rolleyes: