Dome Light Issue: Coming on while driving???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbakon

Reaction score
After 2 years of owning my 2008 STA, I just recently started experiencing an odd issue . . .

While driving over speed humps, backing out of a driveway or just driving through a little rough terrain, my interior lights come on momentarily & immediately turn off . . .

Generally it happens 2 or 3 times in a row, followed by 1 or 2 more before arriving at my destination, then again, sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

Recently however the lights come on daily (nightly) . . .

I've tried ensuring that all 4 doors are completely shut, I've double checked the interior light switch to make sure it's not accidentally switching to the manual override position, I've tried tapping/pounding on the console & steering column wires, etc . . . I've noticed nothing so far.

I'm assuming this is something that would be covered under the warranty, but before I take it to the shop & they blindly start their troubleshooting process, I thought I'd start a thread to see if I'm not the only one & to ask for some input.

Thanks,

kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
IT should be covered...... you could try white lith spray in the lock on each door. not the key hole but the lock itself. I believe the switch is located in that area still.

BUT I would let the dealer look at it as it could be a short or something can cause a major issue..

Todd Z

Guys,

I've never seen the inside of a next-gen ST door sill, so I can't check, but doesn't the ST have door-post switches (little post switches that "open" by pushing out when the door is open, and "close" by being pushed in when the door is closed)?

If the ST has these, then one of them is the most likely culprit for the "disco" effect as some have called it in which the interior lights come on over bumps, etc.

Some manufacturers use switches that can be adjusted (screwed in or out) to make better contact and deal with the fact that door gaps change as doors sag with age. Others do not.

Regardless, those simple open/close push pin door-post switches can and do go bad. It's an easy replacement and an even easier diagnosis, typically. Also, they aren't too costly a part.

If the '08 ST has these door-post switches I suspect that's the most likely problem.

Either way, if still under warranty, take her to the dealer.

TJR

If the Gen 2 is like the Gen 1 Tracs, the switch is mounted on the door latch internal mechanism. It gets dirty and it sticks. Thus, the light comes on...

But, as mentioned above, you should still have coverage.

I have yet to have Ford check into my issue, but I have however noticed a couple of things . . . in my troubleshooting:

Something dawned on my . . . I have the "Message Center" which would have indicated WHICH door is not closing/latching/contacting correctly . . . the thing is, I've never received any type of notification.

Under normal circumstances, if I put the truck in park & removed the key but not opened any doors, the dome light comes on . . . this seems to be the exact same behavior I'm experiencing, but while driving.

To test, every time the light comes on while driving, I jiggle the key (in the ignition, while driving) and immediately the interior lights dim . . . every singe time!

So my question at this point is, have any Gen 2 owner experienced the same as I? what exact part was the culprit? Should I check any fuses? . . . short of taking it to Ford (btw, my warranty is expired) what recommendations should I try?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

I had an '07 ST before the one I have now and wasn't there a recall or something about the ignition switch or the ignition harness. I remember having them take care of that wen i brought it in for something else.

Well I checked through my list of 2008 Sport Trac TSBs and didn't find anything even remotely addressing the ignition switch/harness . . . . . .

Just this morning though, I tried pounding my fist on the under side of the steering column a little, by the ignition. Sure enough, my dome light comes on & off as a result . . . so I'm going pull it apart & see if there's an obvious culprit (loose/exposed wires, ground, etc) . . .

Honestly though, I've never had to mess with these components before so if anyone has any pointers, I'm all ears!

Thanks

I had the dimmer replaced two weeks ago. You know the cluster dimmer under the headlight switch? If you push it to the far right you get the click and then it turns on the interior lighting... Well the "click" broke and I had problems setting my cluster brightness and the lights coming on... Check that out...

Thanks for the suggestion. Switch is fine. Actually i was able to reproduce the event. Seems if i smack or knock under the ignition key the light comes on. Thinking maybe a faulty ignition switch. Seems it happens when going over hard bumps. Guess i will order a new switch and replace it.

For me, it was the ignition switch . . . Once you turn the key to "On" there shouldn't be any wiggle room . . . Based on your comment "if I smack or knock under the ignition key", I'd say you are having the exact same issue I had.

Before I bought any parts, I removed the steering column housing and inspected the mechanism as I tried recreating the issue.

Sure enough, there was too much play in the rested-position (On). Basically, as I was driving, the rocking of the vehicle and or dangling of the keys would jostle/rotate the mechanism just enough to trigger the dome light, as though I was removing the key.

I bought a replacement part at my local Carquest for around $30 and it took about 5 minutes to replace.

The difference (lack of wiggle room) was immediately noticeable and hasn't loosened up on me so far . . . best part is, I haven't had one single occurrence since I replaced the part!!!

Good luck

@kevinbakon, do you recall what part you replaced? I’m having this issue on my 2007 ST limited. Thanks.
Don't know if the user is still online as his reply is from 2011. But he did state his issue was the ignition switch.

Latest posts