Dome light issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
I'm reposting this to get more action on it, really need to figure this out. And yes I tried the soak with lube method first.

See the rest here:

So when my truck is running and I open and close the drivers door there is an area while swinging that the chime, and dome lights, don't work. So when it's wide open it chimes and lights up, when it's nearly close it chimes and lights up. It would be kinda nice if it chimes and lights up the whole time the door is open, especially in the dark. When the keys are out of the ignition it works normally. Thinking it's a bad contact maybe? If nyone can point me in the right direction I appreciate it.

So I replaced the door latch switch on the latch mechanism in the door. It didn't change anything. I really need to figure this out. The wife left the lights on the other day because the "lights on" chime doesn't chime either anymore. I've been on the rangerstation board looking for answers there as well.

Have you checked for worn wires in between the body and the door . There usually in a rubber sleeve.. There should be a lot of them. I'd use a test light and poke each one and swing the door and see if any of those are warn out causing it to separate then come back together ..

I am sure you will find this to be a wire issue. Could be nothing more than the wires are to tight, as in too short to allow for a complete swing of the door without pulling on connections.

This is pretty common. Simply manipulate the wire harness to remove the strain and I am betting all will be good to go.

I do believe it to be a wire or ground issue now after further investigation. I did grab the wire cover in the door jam and moved it as I moved the door but couldn't get it to do anything. It looks nearly impossiblr to seperate the plug in the door jam, has anyone had to do that? What a PITA this is turning into.

I already had to run to wifes worj because she left the lights on due to no warning chime working.

And the rubber piece is just a boot . It pulls away from the frame it is just held there from tucking behind a clip that is attached to the frame and another on the door. Have to just pull on the rubber boot but don't grab to hard to the point that your pulling on the wires and it'll pull over the clip . It's not a fun job to look for shorted wires in there because its such a small place . That's why you use a test light :)

Latest posts