Door chime acting weird

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
So when my truck is running and I open and close the drivers door there is an area while swinging that the chime, and dome lights, don't work. So when it's wide open it chimes and lights up, when it's nearly close it chimes and lights up. It would be kinda nice if it chimes and lights up the whole time the door is open, especially in the dark. When the keys are out of the ignition it works normally. Thinking it's a bad contact maybe? If nyone can point me in the right direction I appreciate it.

Jeff

If it act the same way when either of the front doors are operated in the manner you described, I would suspect the battery. If only the single door acts that way, then, yes, I would agree with your thought about it being in the door. Don't forget to look in the area of where the cable would flex at the hinge pivot.

Now it quit working all together. Isn't there a switch in the door latch mechanism that tells the truck when the door is opened or closed? Maybe thats the culprit. I checcked the fuse and the relays. Plus when the passenger door opens the light comes on like it should so it has to be something in the drivers door.....

So I replaced the door latch switch on the latch mechanism in the door. It didn't change anything. I really need to figure this out. The wife left the lights on the other day because the "lights on" chime doesn't chime either anymore. I've been on the rangerstation board looking for answers there as well.

I have the same issue. I've either determined it's the door switch or a wire issue in the hinge area. I first noticed it after I lubed the door latch with lithium grease in a spray can. Don't feel like ripping it all apart. I've lived with it for six years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure you will find this to be a wire issue. Could be nothing more than the wires are to tight, as in too short to allow for a complete swing of the door without pulling on connections.

This is pretty common. Simply manipulate the wire harness to remove the strain and I am betting all will be good to go.

Latest posts