Door Decal Gone-Rear Axle Ratio?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The door decal on my '02 is gone (rendered illegible by over-zealous detailer). How can I tell which rear end I have?.. There is a metal tag hanging down from the differential-but its hard to read. I have the rear end codes-picked them up from another query. Is there another place on the truck that displays them?

On the original tag that was in the window when the Trac was new.

Also, in many cases, (Not sure about the Trac) they will print the various vehicle codes on a sticker and put it in the glove box.

On many cars it is in the glove box and on the cover that covers the spare tire. Since we don't have that cover, I would try for the little doors in the back panel maybe???

Thanks - I'll check the glove box and all of the crannies, Will crawl under the truck in the am-but my recollection of the numbers on the tag is there were about a half dozen or so digits.

If it is hard to read the numbers, take a piece of chalk and rub the tag, the chalk will allow you to read the tag better..

Then there is the old style of counting the turns by jacking it up in the air...

We will cover that if you cant read the tag...

Todd Z

MikeC-

While generally true, that is incorrect. The Premium trim-grade came with 255/70 tires and a 4.10 open rear end, but you could get the 255/70 tires in an option package without getting the 4.10 axle. However, to get the 4.10 LS, you will have 255/70 tires. The base tire size is 235/70R16 as well, both of your figures are 10mm too narrow.

On the 2002 Trac, if you got the 255/70-16 tires, you had to get a 4.10 differential. No 3.73's were available with the large tires. The same went for the smaller tires.

Tom

Coastie...

I don't think Ford has ever done that. I mainly see that part number sticker on GM cars...

Sulli-

If your VIN decal is not readable you should be able to get another one from your Ford dealer. When my wife got T-boned in ours and the driver's door got replaced along with the B-pillar I had the dealer order me a new decal and I put it on myself. I also talked to an assembly line worker here on the forum who sent me the orange and white warning decal right off the spool from the line so that the door would look "factory"...

Mark