door lock broke

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason B 2

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this happen to their '01 sport trac . I went to open the rear door, drivers side and it would not open. I tried to unlock it again and nothing. I finally got it to open by pushing the unlock button a few times. once it opened I looked at the lock assembly, and noticed a broken spring inside. I looked at the other side to see where it belongs and saw it was connected to the actual lock lever inside. Im guessing the spring holds the lever away from the unlocked position so the lever does not get caught on the perch. The problem is I can't find out where the spring is attached to the top. It looks like a sealed unit and its very tight to access. Has anyone gone through this. I may just buy new assembly from dealership or take it in to get fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this to happen on my 2001 on the driver's side door, had to take the whole locking mechanism out I determine by looking at the passer side where the spring should go found a spring, close to right size it took a little patience to get it in where goes, but finally did, and haven't had any more trouble with it, if not you'll have to buy the whole mechanism from the dealer which if I remember right, was pretty expensive. Carl