Drove the '07

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Went to my local dealer yesterday and took a 4x4 V8 limited out for a spin.

Gotta say I was wowwed with the ride, handling, quiet and overall comfort. The V8 makes nice sounds and has good giddyup, but the real star of the powertrain is the new tranny. The shifts are very smooth and subtle.

The fit and finish all around are a big step up from the first generation ST. Everything was tighter, better integrated, more thoughtfully put together.

I particularly like the rear hitch arrangement. It's very easy to damage the cladding on the old ST when hooking up a trailer. The new model has much more clearance area around the hitch position. The 7 pin trailer outlet will be good for the camper crowd.

I had some minor nitpicks: The rear view mirrors are smaller than the first gen, and don't give as good a view. The headrests are bigger; I'm sure that helps safety in a collision, but it obstructs viewing from back to front and vice versa. And the rear seats, when folded down, leave a six inch gap between the back edge of the seat and the rear of the cab. My dog will fall/step in there when riding in the back. Like I said, those are minor points.

The vehicle, as a package, is really well done. Great blend of functionality from the first generation, taken to a very high level of refinement.

Nice job, Ford.

P.S. Since original post, other things are occuring to me:

+ The new shape of the tie downs is much better. Smaller, still functional, won't tear shirts or snag car wash hoses as easily.

+ I like the new interior door handles.

+/- I like the clean look of the dash, but miss the extra gauges

Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned my new 07 for 10 days,,,,,so far i like ie a lot,,,,,,tge back sear head`rests fold down so i find this a big asset,,,,the instrament pannel i find is the week part of the 07,,,,,,overall its a big improvement

I wonder about the load capacity of the new bed hooks? I noticed that the side flexes if you pull on them. May not be an issue, probably fine for as much force as is used when tying things down, mostly just curious. I too though the gap behind the backseat was odd. But, on the other hand, there is more room behind the seats when the seats are up. Could easily store some things back there.

I particularly like the rear hitch arrangement. It's very easy to damage the cladding on the old ST when hooking up a trailer. The new model has much more clearance area around the hitch position. The 7 pin trailer outlet will be good for the camper crowd.

I also like how they have the doors opening to the step bars, and not the bottom body moulding anymore. My bottom moulding is a mess from kicking it when stepping on the bars, or bumping it when stepping off.

Ford seems to have made it wasier on us neurotic detailers. :)

Come on Rich. You know you will be showing up at the Louisville meet driving a new 2007 Sport Trac. :D:D:D

...Rich

Yeah, Rich will be pimping with the Sport Trac soon. :rolleyes: Once you test drive, ya DO go back.

I'd love to get an '07, but I am having trouble parting with the '01 that does everything I ask of it, that is always parked outside in the elements, that is already scratched up, that is already paid for, etc.

You get the idea. :)

In other words, we'll see.

Rich, why part with the 01' THATwas the beginning of this whole love affair with the ST. It is the original. Maybe it will be a classic one day. I have an 01, and will pay it off in March of 07. THEN I will buy an 07. Maybe it is a better built vehicle now that Ford realizes some engineering and quality errors and such. I don't know that you want to keep two of the same type trucks, but for me it will be no-brainer. I might even give it to my grandson in about 6 or 7 years (he'll be 16 or so). Anyway, Rich I feel your tug of war with the financial aspect of having something paid for and desire(??) to get a vastly improved product such as the new 07 ST, so until next March I too, may be thinking along your path. I go look at the 07's all the time, looking for a Limited in Dark Cherry with all the options I can afford. Haven't seen nary a one yet ....it may be the odd color out, same as my 01 in Island Blue. Hopefully they will still have it in their color pallette by the time I get there! Good luck with whatever you do!!!!!

:unsure:;):unsure::D:unsure::rolleyes:

Latest posts