Dual Exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoriMaury Kimbrough

Reaction score
Last weekend we took our truck to a muffler shop that does custom exhaust to get a quote for installing dual exhaust. I'm not talking about single in, dual out, I'm talking about true dual exhaust.

According to the mechanic, it could not be done on our truck. He said that because of the 2-stage catalytic converter and the placement of the oxygen sensors it couldn't be done without causing constant CEL indications for the pressure in the sensors.

I swear that I've read on here that some have done it. For those of you that have, what exactly did you do? Can you post some pictures?

I talked to the Flowmaster guys at the Goodguys car show in Columbus Ohio and they said the same thing. The guy said they were still working on it and would find a solution to the computer problems concerning the exhaust.

You could do it, BUT you would need a "x" pipe or a y pipe because the back 02 sensor needs to read both sides of the engine at 1 location....

Your almost better off getting an aftermarket y-pipe , high flow Cat converter, then you could lay 2 mufflers sideways and run it out...

But i think the single in and dual muffler will yield the same sound..

Todd Z

I agree with Todd. You would most likely need an "X" pipe if you really want a true dual exhaust system. Anything is possible.

Tom

I changed my exhaust in an 07 4.6....removed the pre-cat and muffler, replaced with magnaflow....no CEL, 3000 + miles, did smell something like burning wires the first day but gone now!? I get about 1.5 mpg better mileage between 55-65....

Thanks guys. Guess we'll have to wait until someone comes up with a good solution. While a little more sound would be nice, we were more looking for performance.

Kimbro, we pretty much already did. If you think someone will make a kit to add true duals, don't hold your breath.

Either got with a larger diameter pipe (Larger pipes carry more air) then stock and you will get beter performance, but don't expect much for then 5 HP...if you are lucky.

Tom

Go too big on the pipe diameter and you will sacrifice some bottom end performance. In my opinion this is where the 4600 lb Trac needs it most. After all its only a 4.0 liter motor.