Electrical short diagnosis?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Krusich

Reaction score
Some time ago I think I remember someone on this list offering help on how to determine which electrical circuit is shorting. It was very helpful but now, when I need it, I cannot find it! I can't remember if it was a link or outlined in detail on this SportTrac list.

If anyone remembers it and still has it I would REALLy appreciate if you would list it again.

Steve

Have you had your battery checked or replaced it since you have owned the truck? It could be that your battery is old and tired.

Are there any aftermarket items on the truck? That would be my first guess if the battery is new. If so, disconnect all of it and see if it stops your drain.

Another thing you can do is put an ammeter in series with the positive terminal and see what the current drain is when the truck is "sleeping". I say sleeping as that is what my other car does. It goes into an "off" mode for about 10 minutes after you shut it down. Then goes to sleep. You can see the current drop on the meter from off to sleep. It should be minimal as your clock and intrusion system is all that should be running.

If all the above has been tried, start pulling fuses and check to see when the current goes to zero. What does the fuse control? That is your problem more than likely (stuck relay maybe).

Lou...

Latest posts