Ever wonder what happens when a mouse gets in the HVAC system?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
Me neither. But it happened for the second time - this time with costly results.

About a month and a half ago, my HVAC blower was making a lot of noise. When I took it in, the tech had to clean out a mouse's nest and accompanying load of crap from the HVAC tubing and against the blower.

Two days ago, the noise was back. One day ago, the smell was putrid. I took it in, and this time, the mouse met its maker - care of the blower. In what can be described only as disgusting, the mouse and the blower came into contact, spraying mouse innards all throughout the HVAC tubing, on the blower, messing up the condenser, and so on. The smell of rotting mouse carcas borders on unbearable. Ford cleaned out the system today, but it must go in next week for comprehensive cleaning and replacement.

At the end of the day, I need a new condenser, a thorough cleaning of the system, a deodorizing of the system, and a few other things. The estimated cost is $750-$800, most of which is for the labor of doing the grunt work. Comprehensive insurance will cover most of it, since a mouse is not part of Ford's 3/36 warranty. I told them to replace that which they cannot clean; the smell is enough to make me want to trade the Trac in for something else. If it continues, I have a feeling the Trac will find a new owner.

When I was in Louisville, I asked Ford's engineers if they changed the system because it was after my first discovery of a nest. They stated that the new system indeed removed the air intakes from within the fender wall. Too bad Ford never addressed the 01-05 Tracs, though. And, because this also occurred with my 1996 Explorer a few years back, it is a problem that has been around (the engineers recognized many complaints).

Oh well. At least the mouse is dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the tech about a screen the last time it happened. He said that, by its design, it would be extremely difficult to incorporate into the fender wall.

I will once again ask him to put something on it. I don't feel like paying for another fix.

I highly recommend tangle feet glue on some area's on the trac. I use glue traps it seems to prevent Mickey from build a Epcot Center.