Failed inspection

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Higbee

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Just for your information....here in New Jersey....I just failed inspection for having a Ford Decal over the Third Brake Light and also for having a Line of Fire on the back of my Sport Trac!! Great...now another trip back to the inspection station after I remove them,......temporarily!!!

Ummm, 3rd brake lights are not required by law, so there should be no issue having it covered. Ask if they make cars install them if they don't have em.

Trtex, I bought a Ford Decal for the third brake light but did not install it for just that reason, now the line of fire should not be reason for a failure. what did they say was wrong with it?

Jeff, All cars manuafactured after a certain year ( I want to say sometime in mid to late 80's) are required to have a highmount 3rd brake light. It is required by law.

In NY and some other states, it is "If it came with it, it must be present and work" although i'd argue about the line of fire.......

Just put back the OEM third brake light cover and disconnect the line of fire. Put them back after you pass. Sometimes fighting with the state isn't worth the aggravation

That's what I'm going to do!! The Line of Fire is ,as they say, NOT DOT APPROVED!!

It's not a shop...it's a STATE INSPECTION STATION!! Thanks NJ

PA Is just as bad with this crap. I just put on the line of fire... I guess I will disconect before I take it in. I have had cars fail for the stupidist things. :rolleyes:

IF the cover lets a certain % of light through it is still legal....

Todd Z

Yup. Center High-Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL) became a requirement in cars starting with the '86 model year. I had an '86 Mustang GT, and recall that that was the first year for them. I think the requirement for trucks and SUV's didn't go into effect until about 1990.

No kiddin' Darin...I shaved my 3rd brake light last weekend, my headlights aren't DOT approved, I'll eventually shaved my side mirrors, although I'll add some different ones, and my airbags don't work.