Favorite Toys Growing Up (No Video Games)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey Bill but it worked when you where done, liked the way you said it though. Being born in 1987 my favorite toy was KNEX. Still is I bought the roller coaster last Christmas because I'm a nerd and I was 21 at that point lol, but I did love every minute of it!!!

CHRIS

I liked these toys from the 50's & 60's

-Hubley Rifleman cap rifle (my grandmother bought it for me for my 6th or 7th birthday and I still have it)

-Fanner 50 cap pistol with real leather holster (the cylinder rotated when it fired)

-Mattell VAC-U-Form - it vacuforms plastic sheets into toys, buttons etc. It would not be alloed in todays society due to it's hazardous hotplate! ( I have a set that I bought off Ebay...almost as new).

-I always loved to play with my AURORA HO slot car track

-I wish i still has my early 50's LIONEL train set.

We made our own skateboards and Man From U.N.C.L.E. guns and secret agent stuff.

The 50', 60's ans 70's...those were some times!

'07 ST:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I built several "Rube Goldberg" model contraptions that "sometimes" worked. Bill built his own, assembled his own parts, and made them work. Rocket Science, nah... just NASA.

You guys remember "Jarts"? Lawn Darts notorious for maiming people, designed for "ambulance chasers". If I recall, they were outlawed in certain states. Great way to lose an eye.

Brilliant idea, if you're a lawyer.

My neighbors still play with an "antique" set of Jarts. They have to keep an eye open for the yard police LOL!

'07 ST

I'm a child of the 80's and have very fond memories of growing up in this time period.

My top 10 toys would have to include:

1. Lego

2. Atari

3. Hot wheels

4. Operation

5. Connect four

6. Micro machines

7. Garbage pail kids

8.Viewmaster

9. Transformers

10. Play Doh<

I don't think this is what you meant when you said "no electronic games", so I'm going to add to this list the electronic vibrating football game...

The thing with most of these toys was you could use your imagination! I remember "Whizzers" the gyration tops you spun. No imagination there but try to do tricks with 'em.

Hot wheel tracs all over the house and yards.

Tonka trucks (enough to build roads for the steel cars)

2x4's with steel skate wheels

Long rope hanging from the highest limb on the tree!

a coffee can in the middle of the street @ 10pm

Bill V- I should have titled, no VIDEO games, including PONG.

Remember the "vibrating" football game, as Sony did in their NFL ads a while ago.

Can't recall seeing a QB doing "donuts" on the line of scrimmage. LOL

To this day, believe CHESS is the ULTIMATE board game. No cards or dice translates into 100% skill. Checkers and Tic-Tac-Toe are light years behind.

Any takers? See me @ chess.com. (sws669) :)

Keola,

Once again we are on the exact same page my friend. My list is endless but includes every single toy you mentioned. I used to LOOOOVE Micro Machines and had forgotten all about them until you mentioned them.

swshawaii, are you counting the old Mattel handheld sports games--football, baseball, basketball, hocket, etc.--as "video" games? I would think they're not--a little red electronic blip can hardly be called "video". :) So I'm adding them to this list too.

Cap guns

Tinker Toys,

Erector Sets

home made soap box racers

flying kites and balsa gliders

building model car kits

...Rich

Lego

Erector Set

Tinker Toys

Hot Wheels (gave some of my old cars to my son when he turned 5!)

model cars and planes

Tonka cars and trucks

Balsa wood planes

kites (bought and homemade)

I also had a tricycle until I turned 10. My parents wouldn't buy me a bike until then!

I took the trike apart and flipped the back end over so it looked more like a Big Wheel.

My dad drove over one of my Tonka trucks. The roof caved in but it still rolled!

Withot a doubt, Lego's.

My mom would bring me Lego's back from Europe. They were way better than what we had in the USA at that time.

Tom