First ST 2007 Limited

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately 2007 and 2008 had spark plugs that were known for snapping off in the engine. They were crappy two piece design. You should watch YouTube videos on how to change them and tricks that are out there and potentially buy the tool to remove the broken plug. I would also then highly recommend purchasing the one piece plug and replacing it with that.
The Ford dealer gave me the 547 plugs which is the new upgrade so they said

Unfortunately 2007 and 2008 had spark plugs that were known for snapping off in the engine. They were crappy two piece design. You should watch YouTube videos on how to change them and tricks that are out there and potentially buy the tool to remove the broken plug. I would also then highly recommend purchasing the one piece plug and replacing it with that.
Hey Todd Z, did they use those same plugs on the V-6 as well?

I replaced my factory system with an 7 inch Android Touch Screen. DVD/CD GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi and any other app you want to download. Will play almost any music file from USB. Steering wheel control compatible. Came with inputs for both forward and rear cameras. Also bought plug and play wiring harness so I wouldn't have to cut any wires. This will disable the factory Sync, but I don't need it now. Pretty sure I got everything off Amazon. Able to set background lights to desired color to match existing dash lights. I only installed the rear camera using an aftermarket Ford tailgate latch which fits several model F150's as well. Had it a couple years and much improved over factory system.
Hey Jetmech.
Is that the pioneer unit in your photos or another brand? If another brand, who makes it and where did you get it? Thanks

Not on any v6. also on the late 08-10 they changed the plug completely...

I have this one also. it is a fairly good unit. It starts slow, takes about 30 seconds to boot up, then it has every thing i need and more. i would buy definately it again. In my ST '10 LTD V8 (155,000 mi). It is almost straight up plug and play. Android based, so there are thousands of apps from the play store you can load. Got mine on Amazon. But I wont buy from amazon again since Bozo Bezos said if i didn't support the BLM organization, he didn't need my business. BLM is an admitted Marxist organization. sorry Jeff, I'll buy from US suppliers on E-bay from now on. This unit is probably made in China, which means it's available from many sources.

Sansjob

Thanks for your reply and I'm glad you have the same unit. Now if you could just tell me who makes that unit, I could get one also. Thanks again

Thanks for getting back to me with the info. Now I can get one to. What do you put in to e bay to look this item up? Also, do they make a unit that has Sync. Built in? That is what I would really like. thanks again.

I just searched for this: ( dash radio nav explorer android ) do not use the parentheses Then verify the fitment is for a SportTrac. Look at the attached picture. Mine has the three knobs on the left. Or look at the great pics from jetmech in that previous post. The knobs kind of match the existing interior. there are a hundred different radio units. I'm sure many of the others would work fine too. Or just click on the link in my previous post.

I don't know about the sync. Add it to the search and see what comes up..
Hey Sansjob
Just ordered same radio you said you have. Like he knobs too. 2 guestions. Does it receive am as well a fm or only fm? Can you play cd's on it? From picture I don't see a slot to install them

Hey Jetmech.
Is that the pioneer unit in your photos or another brand? If another brand, who makes it and where did you get it? Thanks
Hi R, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, as I've had lots going on recently. Looks like you already may have ordered and installed a new system which is very similar to what I have. My unit is Chinese and an unheard of brand, but is just basically like installing an Android tablet that fits in the stock opening very well. Mine does have a DVD/CD player at the top of the unit. It looks like that may be capped closed in the unit you were considering. I find I play far less CD's than I used to as I've transferred so much to an external drive I keep plugged into the available USB extension from the unit. Mine is a couple years old now, but does have AM and FM, but found I never listen to AM anymore either. Someone said most steering wheel buttons will work, which is true and they can be programmed as you like. You will likely lose Sync though, as I did. Overall, I'm satisfied and wouldn't go back to the factory version.

Hi R, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, as I've had lots going on recently. Looks like you already may have ordered and installed a new system which is very similar to what I have. My unit is Chinese and an unheard of brand, but is just basically like installing an Android tablet that fits in the stock opening very well. Mine does have a DVD/CD player at the top of the unit. It looks like that may be capped closed in the unit you were considering. I find I play far less CD's than I used to as I've transferred so much to an external drive I keep plugged into the available USB extension from the unit. Mine is a couple years old now, but does have AM and FM, but found I never listen to AM anymore either. Someone said most steering wheel buttons will work, which is true and they can be programmed as you like. You will likely lose Sync though, as I did. Overall, I'm satisfied and wouldn't go back to the factory version.
Hey Jetmech

Thanks for getting back to me. I bought a Chinese unit also. Nothing compared to the oem radio but hopefully it will work. 2 questions. Did yours come with a wiring diagram? I did not get one. All I got was a bag with plugs and about a million wires with some labeled and some not. Maybe this is a plug and play it's suppose to be. Was yours a plug and play? I hate to start cutting wires only to find out in the end it doesn't work. Then what do you do? If you ordered a plug and play connector, please tell me where you got it.
Thanks. R

Hey Jetmech

Thanks for getting back to me. I bought a Chinese unit also. Nothing compared to the oem radio but hopefully it will work. 2 questions. Did yours come with a wiring diagram? I did not get one. All I got was a bag with plugs and about a million wires with some labeled and some not. Maybe this is a plug and play it's suppose to be. Was yours a plug and play? I hate to start cutting wires only to find out in the end it doesn't work. Then what do you do? If you ordered a plug and play connector, please tell me where you got it.
Thanks. R
Hi R,
If the harness that came with your unit looks like the one from the pictures, it should be all plug and play with no cutting of wires. I just don't remember if my unit came with the complete harness or I purchased it elsewhere.

Attachments

• Harness.jpg
    Harness.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 103
Yes that's the wiring harness I think I got. Will let you know how it goes when I get around to installing it hopefully soon. If it doesn't go smoothly, don't forget I know where you live. LoL

Thank again
R

Hi R,
If the harness that came with your unit looks like the one from the pictures, it should be all plug and play with no cutting of wires.
Hi R,
If the harness that came with your unit looks like the one from the pictures, it should be all plug and play with no cutting of wires. I just don't remember if my unit came with the complete harness or I purchased it elsewhere.

I just don't remember if my unit came with the complete harness or I purchased it elsewhere.

Yes that's the wiring harness I think I got. Will let you know how it goes when I get around to installing it hopefully soon. If it doesn't go smoothly, don't forget I know where you live. LoL

Thank again
R
BTW, after your installation, should you have a noticeable pop sound from your subwoofer when you start your truck, there's an easy fix.

Per Crutchfield: "Finally, the Ford amp is used to getting a 5-volt signal from the stock radio, so the 12-volt signal from a new stereo will cause an audible (and annoying) thump every time you turn on the vehicle. You'll need to purchase an inexpensive 12-volt to 5-volt adapter to cure this problem. Trust us, it's totally worth it, and it's included as part of your installation package when you purchase your new stereo from Crutchfield."

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120AFDI5V/Axxess-AFDI-5V.htmlhttps://www.crutchfield.com/S-adwcJ...lorer-sport-trac-and-mercury-mountaineer.html

The converter is spliced into the power and ground wires that go to the subwoofer amp. The Crutchfield converter link may say it's not for your vehicle, but it absolutely will work as it only involves two spliced in wires. Once installed, it completely removed the annoying pop from my sub. It might make sense to order it now and do the splice while you've got the dash all apart. I found out the hard way and had to go back in. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. on that 12 to 5 volt converter. The only problem is,I don't have the sub woofer set up in mine. I wish I did. I have been looking for years for an oem unit and haven't found one yet. Do you know where I can find one? Thanks. Randy

Thanks for the info. on that 12 to 5 volt converter. The only problem is,I don't have the sub woofer set up in mine. I wish I did. I have been looking for years for an oem unit and haven't found one yet. Do you know where I can find one? Thanks. Randy
Yeah, guess you may not need the converter after all. At this point, the best bet would probably be to just go aftermarket. There's ton's of stuff out there:

https://www.soundoffaudio.com/explorer-sport-trac/https://netaudio.com/product/2007-2...t-trac-sub-box-behind-seat-loaded-and-ported/https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/uss8/https://www.crutchfield.com/g_51000/Powered-Subwoofers.html?tp=114&pg=2https://www.xtrememobilesolutions.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=117