Found this on the Explorer 4x4 Forum

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Radio Frequency Interference

Anyone using a ham radio or C.B. in their Explorer has most likely heard the effects of RFI. The interference sounds like a high ambient noise level and the receiver possibly shows many S-units of signal strength even when there is no one transmitting. The in-tank mounted electric fuel pump is the source of this problem.

Fortunately Ford has a fix for this problem which is covered under the original warranty. If the truck is out of warranty you can get the parts and do the job yourself or have it performed at a shop. The Service Bulletin that covers this problem is # 9117-5. The part you need is a Filter Kit, Ford Part # E7PZ9B357A.

Although the addition of the filter did cure about 90% of the problem some interference is still noticeable on a few of the Ham Radio bands. Even so, it sure sounds much better then before the fix.

Additional info from Pat Freeman:

I was having fuel pump noise and saw the TSB and part number listed in the tech tips section. I gave these to my dealer and he let me know that these were for vehicles up to 1999. There is some updated information that we all might benefit from

I have a 2001 Sport Trac and TSB # 01-07-03 is for installation of a noise suppressor in the fuel tank, Part # F1PZ 18B925 A.