Front pads at 27k? when did you do yours?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Mulhern

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got a call from the shop, oil change at a friends place, and he said the front pads need to be replaced.

It seems like 27k miles for the pads is a little early. My wife drives the truck about 6 miles a day and we don't tow anything and rarely carry heavy loads.

Does this sound right? when did you change your front pads?

Thanks,

Marc

Ranger one, I have the same ST....thanks guys.

I may go to Ford and see if it would be covered as premature wear?!

Fast Eddie, you are correct, everything is still OEM.

Thanks again guys,

marc

You answered your own question in sentence 3......my wife doesn't touch my ST and has only riden in it a couple of times.......she drives a Volvo S80 with 79K on it. It is on its 3d set of brakes.....she has two speeds, 0 and 45. Her goal is to get to either one as fast as she can therefore the Volvo gets poor gas mileage in town and "eats" us brakes.......that said, I think I replaced my ST fronts at about 45K.....

Thanks Gordon. I've asked my wife about her driving because she said the truck 'seems' to get bad mileage. I told her not to step on the gas so hard and that will help.

Looks like I need to replace the pads and have a talk with my wife about easing up on the truck.

marc

My OEM pads went out the window at about 3000 miles. I prefer Carbon Metallic pads. I am on my third set at the moment. I do drive fast and agressive, so that is part of the problem.

The first set lasted about 40,000 miles, but I did pull some heavy trailers, about 8,000 LBS, without trailer brakes so that put a hurt to the pads. My second set were replaced, not because they were bad or worn out, but because I converted the rear brakes to disks and I redid the front brakes to make sure I had the best braking ability possible.

With that being said, I am still on my first set of rotors and they were only turned once at about 60,000 miles. The machine shop barely cut anything off of them, about .005", and told me they really didn;t need turned. I figure at this rate, my rotors should last another 50,000 miles before I will even consider replacing them.

Tom

Bill-E is RIGHT !! It's all in the driving style........ I have a 04 ST ( purchased new ) with 43 K miles on it & the pads are still in great shape. Maybe another 10 to 15 K miles left.

thanks again guys. the mechanic mentioned the rotors are perfect and just the pads need to be replaced. I will pick up some carbin metalic pads. I can get those at Auto Zone or pepboys, correct?

I appreciate the assistance and quick responses.

Marc

87K and just replaced the original pads. they still had a sliver of life left in them. this is the first vehicle I've owned that I wasn't replacing the pads every 10K

Replaced my originals all around at 105K on my 03. He showed me the old ones and they all had about 30% left. 90% of my miles are highway. Rod

How hilly is it where you live? Does the wife shift out of OD going down hills?

My wife pretty much drives her own car, steadfastly refuses to downshift on hills, and fries a set of front brakes and rotors annually.

Mileage means little. Especially if you do a lot of highway driving. Mine is 95% in town driving and I had to change mine at around 30,000. Best thing I ever did because the oem pads were crap to begin with. I went with top dollar akebonos and man what a difference.

My '03 Adrenaline with 43,000 miles still has at least 2/3 of its brake pads remaining. My brakes don't pulsate or grab or make any noise.

My wife's Liberty got new pads in the front at 60,000 miles. They really didn't NEED replacing, but I had it in the shop and they had it on the rack, and she was starting a new job with a two-hour commute everyday, so I told them to go ahead and replace them. She still has the original rotors and there is no vibration/pulsation on her vehicle either.

This is interesting...I am up to 23K and my brake pads are fine. When I traded in my 2000 Explorer last year, it had 102K and still had the original brake pads- they were beginning to feel weaker so I would have changed them out if I hadn't traded.