Gear Swap: AWD 08 STA V8 3:55 to ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about a larger MAF but the more research I did the less gain I thought I would get. I think Dingo gave me the best explanation on why it wasn't really much gain. I forgot what the hell he said because I think the conversation took place while I was at a bar on my cell phone earlier this year :)

I definently don't need a new "G.F" My Fiance is freakin amazing and she loves this kinda performance stuff just like I do. I'm so lucky to have someone that doesn't chew my a$$ out when I but new speakers or drop $350 on a flash tuner....I wouldn't trade her for anyone.

And no...she isn't watching me type this right now :)

I'd love a Roush Mustang but I can't afford a toy that I can only use like..4 months out of the year.

The STA is my Toy that I can play with winter or summer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah. I forgot to add that my race tires are 295/35ZR18s. That changes the gear ratio a little.

As for the gf thing... One just says, "That's pretty." The other says, "When are we putting a supercharger on it?"

I'm out of ideas. How does one get more low end torque, horsepower, throttle responce to result in more take off power?

Maybe this is dumb, but how about an electric fan? I wouldn't know, just what I've read over the years on performance.

Well, my wife is one of the one's that says "that's pretty", but she still wants it to move. The first time she took me to her extended relatives house in upper East Texas, she took me through the little two-lane blacktop "cow path" roads, the roads that follow the cow paths as they went around the fences at 90 degrees. She wanted to see how I would react to 110 mph in her Celica on tight roads. I just watched her driving, and she really is pretty good, so I just sat back and watched the performance.

As for performance parts, she just wants to know if it's going to blow up on her. If not, she's fine with it. When we finally get out of this financial mess, it should be fun!

As soon as I find the time, I'm pulling my 3.55's and going to 3.73's. I hate the 3.55's for where I am at. Best gear for me at the moment is the 3.73's even though I am doing about 80% city (12 miles to work w/ 21 lights in that span) and 20% highway. 4.10's would help in the city, but with the terrain I run on the interstate and the mileage I run in that 20%, the 4.10's would be be too much.

Unless you are willing to start in major bolt-ons (superchargers) and/or engine internals, gears will be your best bet for what you are looking for. My suggestion would be to make friends with someone at the dealership who will help you do them on the side or find someone in the Mustang world that is reliable around you that wants to make a few bucks helping you do them.

DID any one mention that the V8 tranny has a ridiculous First gear ratio ?????

Taking that thing off the line it will shift right into second almost at 10 MPH........

Todd Z

I have plans to do the 4.10 LSD swap soon....but woth the funds they are now it will not be till the Spring! I have done some research and talked with a ton of people on teh subject. Bottom line that I have gotten is that it WILL give you the desired feeling of tourqe you want, but the word is correct that it will diminish mpg in the upper speeds/revs.

It would be great to change them to 3:73 or 4:10s but since it's AWD I have to do both the front and rear. I'm just not going to spend $3000 on that lol. The way car sales are going right now...I couldn't even afford to do one of them without stressing our monthly budget a tad.

A lot of Dingo's mods - namely the apprearance package - have added weight...lol.

Painted bed handle, painted satellite thingie, retractable antenna, 3M rock/bug protectant film, painted grille, painted tag lights, Laminex, window tint, LED third brake, various window stickers, and 10,000 LED lights.

And yet, he still tries to get into my truck when I park beside him. LOL.

Does anyone make a torque converter for the 6speed trans IE PI, Art Carr

psycareo,

I just thought of this Trac. Maybe it'll give you some ideas/inspiration:

Performance West Group, inc.'s 2007 Ford Sport Trac "Super Trac"

e55b9981a7092294b526e86482de408e.jpg

Link below. Click on "Features" to see what mods have been added to this Trac.