Help choosing satellite service

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Cannon

Reaction score
My family and I just moved and there is no cable service, any recommendations on dish service? Looking at their websites, they are offering about the same deals, but I don't know about their service. Any help will be appreciated.

I recently got Directtv as we just moved and i had heard nothing good about

Comcast and when i called they said you cant order new service over

the phone bla bla bla so i ordered satalite.It is ok it costs more then my cable did and i now know when its going to rain cause the picture goes out it gets fuzzy or just goes straight to searching for signal,during the hurricane it worked but i had to go into programing and search for different transponders so with all that being said and the installer said they dont have internet yet but will be available soon its ok all in all seeing as i dont watch much tv the wife does so if she is happy im happy

directv for many years. better that dish. we live out in the boonies with no cable. very pleased. make sure you get the larger newer dish if possible. i also have sat internet. it's not woth the 69 bucks a month, but it sure beats dial up.:(

I have had both DirectTV and Dish Network. Main difference is DirecTV requires a one year agreement and you own the equipment so your monthly bill is a little less. Dish Network is like your cable company, no contract and they own the boxes. DirecTV has the BEST customer service and installers, Dish Network had possibly the work customer service I have ever dealt with. DirecTV has TiVo DVR players, IMHO the best in the market (I have tried them from Dish Network, Time Warner, Everest, and Comcast). The only reason I am not currently with DirecTV is because their High Def TiVo is ~ $1000, once it drops I am going back to them.

I've been working in cable and satellite since 86 and on Directv for the last 8 years. I very rarely have outages (less often than friends with cable), it all depends upon your installers ability and customer care standards (Or in my case experience with dish tweaking). The only outages we suffer are when there is a very big storm coming.

My outlaws have dish and it's a good deal for them because they don't want/need the channels we're interested in. Also, IMProfessionalO the equipment used by dish is of lesser quality than Direct uses. I've seen the specs and Direct's standards are higher. Cable will try to play the locals and the all "digital" card but all dish and directv programming is digital and in Nashville I would expect all your locals to be available via satellite.

Your decision should be based upon personal preferences. If you're into sports it's directv, if you're interested in international programming it's dish, kids programming directv, very inexpensive dish. If you want hgh speed internet, cable and DSL are better values than directway, unless you truly live out in the boonies (like in brentwood ;).

That's my .03 worth (had to bump up the value since it's my professional opinion). May the rebuttal begin.

I've had Directv for years. No more expensive than Cox Cable. Have 2 of the Directv Tivo units. Can't imagine not being able to rewind live TV or worry about if my shows are recorded.

Right now, Directv is offering a FREE DirecTV Tivo unit. Buy the receiver for $100 at CircuitCity, get a $100 rebate from Directv!

Have read that Dish Network uses their own brand of digital recorder and most customers hate it. Directv uses Tivo software which is easy to use and very stable. I've only had to restart my boxes 2 times in the past year.

I do experience rain fade during heavy T-Storms, but the outages last only a few minutes usually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had DirecTV for about 8 years now, and find that their service is outstanding! If you call with problems or questions, you actually get a human to talk to and they are actually able to help you!

DirecTV carries a bunch of Fox Sports channels including numerous regional channels where you can even get detailed info on High School sports in your area. Obviously more sports channels than my wife will allow, so I don't have them. but they have them. Perhaps they should come bundled with "Divorce Court" :lol:

...Rich

I have both, Direct at home and Dish at work. Direct hands down is much better. Also if your a football fan you can get thier NFL package and watch any game you want. Outlaw

I have Dish Network at the Tahoe house, and have had it for about a year and a half.

My problem is that the feed is 'east coast', meaning that all my favorite stuff is on 3 hours earlier than usual. The biggest part of that problem is that all the channels go to 'paid programming' at midnight instead of 3 a.m. (My main TV viewing time!)

Not to mention that I lose my signal during storms! Nothing like going out first thing in the morning after a heavy snowfall to clear off the dish so it can get a signal!!! :angry:

Krash: You can get a dish heater that would keep the dish warm enough to melt the snow. Never needed one here in the sunbelt.

We've had Direct TV for 5 years now. We like it alot. Rates haven't increased much over the years, maybe $3.00. My sis has Dish and it doesn't have the same channels Direct TV has. I think she pays more too. We pay $39.99 a month plus tax. It's cheaper than Cable around here. Cable increases it's rates constantly, so I hear.

I have Directv - and have had it for about two years. Great customer service, and I love my Tivo! I moved in February - called Directv, and their contracted installers showed up right on time on the day I requested them. They did an excellent job putting in the jacks, unlike the crap job my local cable company does (drills up through the floor.. ugh!)