Help with door lock not working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Zabski

Reaction score
I have a 07 V8 and had a problem tonight with the door lock. I was stuck and luckily with another couple that drove my wife and I home. I went back and I tried three keys and none would open the door. Then I found that the battery in my 3rd party remote start/lock/unlock was dead (Excalibur). After running around and replacing the batteries the door opened and I was able to get home. Problem I have is the door will not open with the key and only the remote. Any advice on what is going on?

Thank you in advance.

You need to find out WHY the key wont unlock the door and resolve that issue.

Does the insert but not turn? Was the Trac bought new by you? If not, was the lock changed before you got it? If you bought new and no lock change, have locksmith repair to get it to work.

If the key inserts and does turn but doesn't unlock, then it sounds like a linkage rod has come loose. You would need to remove the door panel and investigate.

My '02 has a door lock on both sides but don't know about later years. Do you have a key-lock on the passenger door? If so, does it fail as well?

I bought it used with 36k, has 100k. I've used the lock (key) many times, admittedly I don't use it often. Never had a problem before last night. The key inserts fine, it will just not turn when inserted in the cylinder.

Thank you.

This thread has gotten me thinking (smell the burning?). I can't remember that last time I used a key to open any of my vehicles. I guess I better check them one of these days to find out if they still work so I don't experience the same issue some lonely night when there is no one around to help if needed. lol

Latest posts