high Idle rpms

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason B 2

Reaction score
I have a 2001 sport trac, Problem is when I start the engine the rpms go up to 2000 then drop to 1500 till the engine is warm, then it drops to about 700 rpms at idle. I think its a vacuum line problem but I'm not sure. Has anyone had this problem.

Try cleaning and adjusting your throttle body.

Also if it is a Job 2 ST you will have an IAC motor that you can clean..

Here is the project on how to clean it

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/CleaningIAC/CLEANING_IAC_MOTOR.htm

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I cleaned the IAC, but I thinkl its bad. The seal does not sit agaist the internal wall, it leaves a gap between the seal and wall. Is that normal.

It is normal for a cold engine to idle at a much higer RPM until it warms up. The fuel injection system has an enrichement system that will increase the amount of gas injected when the engine is cold...especially at below-freezing temperatures. To burn that extra gas, more air is allowed to enter the engine and that contributes to the higher idle speed.

Depending upon how cold it is outside, the engine idle should drop down to about 1000-1200 RPM within about a minute and finally drop down to a normal 500-600 rpm idle when the engine is fully warmed.

If your engine continues to idle too fast it could be the IAC or it could also be your thrermostat sticking open. If the thermostat sticks open, it will slow down the warm up time and that wastes gas.

...Rich

Latest posts