Honda Ridgeline, MT TRUCK of the year

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you are saying that the ST does not offer as much flexibility as the RL does. OK, I can agree with that.

I actually get more flexibility. I can buy a 4x4, or I can buy a 4x2. Can't do that with your Yuppie Bus.

The term SUT was coined by the media. Ford always marketed the Trac as an SUV, never a Truck. Since the Trac was always an SUV, people started using the term SUT. Ford realized they started a new slot for the Trac, SUT.

Check out Fords website, it is listed as an SUV, exactly where Ford says it is.

Then again, Ford does not have to pump up thier vehicle by calling it a 1/2 ton truck to give the mini-van some credibility.

Tell me the last commercial you have seen advertizing the Sport Trac?

Tom

OMG why have I just seen this thread? I say just tie a tow strap to them both and see who pulls who. You know what would be interesting? Let's have a country wide meet of both ST and RL owners and go through a little endurance test. We can have a nice competition between the 2 to finally squash this BS. I've never driven a RL so I'm not going to speak. Do I like it? Not really, but I have no personal experience with it. The only way to settle it is by a face to face comparison and testing them through equal means.

The way this thread is going, we might as well have a joint SportTrac / Ridgeline meet this summer somewhere and really settle this once and for all. Yep-- I'm talking about a good old-fashioned rumble. A big ass-kicking riot between the ST'ers and the RL'ers. Who ever is left standing after we go at it for several days will be the winner.

On second thought, let's invite the Avalanche owners too. A three-way butt-kicking rumble would be more fun anyway. Get your pipes, chains, knives, and brass knuckles ready!

Tom - "I actually get more flexibility. I can buy a 4x4, or I can buy a 4x2".

I don't know where you live, but where I live, a 4x2 pickup is useless in the 100+ inches of snow we get each year. Besides, I have the flexibility of getting 4x2 gas mileage and having the security of available 4x4 stability when I need it.

Tom - "....Can't do that with your Yuppie Bus".

Careful there Tom....remember, your ST is becoming more and more like a "Yuppie Bus" with every redesign.

Tom - "Then again, Ford does not have to pump up thier vehicle by calling it a 1/2 ton truck to give the mini-van some credibility".

But, then again, Ford doesn't like direct comparisons with the ST and all the other vehicles it directly competes against, either, now does it? Check out the Car and Driver Article - Comparison Test: Do-It-All Compact Pickups; where they tested the RL against, the newest Taco, Frontier, Dakota, and Colorado (By the way, the RL come out on top on this head to head comparison test) in a head to head competition.

They wanted to add the Ford ST to the mix, but Ford declined because, they said, the ST's replacement/redesign was coming out in a year or so. In so many words, Ford said, "We have nothing on the market right now to compare with the vehicles you are running in this test. We've had 4 or 5 years to get it right, but it's just not there yet. Here's a note from our engineers excusing us from the competition".

If the ST so friggin' great, why didn't they just give them a ST to test with and, if came out short in a few areas, they could have always said, "Yes, we know it has a few short comings, but we are addressing them in our next redesign". Instead, they avoid the test all together..... and you know what it looks like.... it look likes they just KNEW it was going to come up way short in a direct comparison and they didn't want consumers seeing it get beat up in a head to head competition with it's direct market competition.

So, call the RL what you will....call the ST a SUV/SUT/SVT whatever.....but they still compete against the same vehicles in the same section of the mid-sizded truck/SUT market. The RL keeps getting rave reviews and the ST is either not even mentioned, or declines to even show up for the competition.

Nuff said.

I don't know where you live, but where I live, a 4x2 pickup is useless in the 100+ inches of snow we get each year. Besides, I have the flexibility of getting 4x2 gas mileage and having the security of available 4x4 stability when I need it.

Hint, Hint: A 4x4 operates in 4x2 until you turn it off. No power is being directed to the front wheels if it isn't needed. Then again, with FWD, you really don't need AWD.

They wanted to add the Ford ST to the mix, but Ford declined because, they said, the ST's replacement/redesign was coming out in a year or so.

Honestly, I dont blame Ford. The redesign was on its way, they sell all they make with no advertising. Why invest the money to sell vehicles that will sell themselves. Plus, the Sport Trac has already been cmpared in other magazines. Where was Honda then? Oh wait, they were head to head in the Mini-van comparisons.

Did you see the letters from people that disagreed with that article? Worst vehicle offroad of the bunch. The least ground clearance. That alone should have put the RL in last place. Most people agreed. They said it was more comfy, I would expect a mini-van to be comfy. Did not tow the most, the Dodge did. I wouldn't expect a mini-van to tow much.

The Magazines praised the original Odyssey. How many years did they sell them before they went back to the drawing board and actually made it a mini-van?

Hw many years will it take Honda to either dump the RL or build a real truck? Remember, right now, the "Its new, Its new" factor. Everyone wants one because it is new. Once that wears off, what will Honda do?

Tom

Still trolling on and on and on and on and on. FYI there is a whole big real world out there, why don't you take your RL and actually drive in it? It's a lot more fun than justifying to yourself and others why you bought the damn thing.

Nobody here gives a S&*t!!

They wanted to add the Ford ST to the mix, but Ford declined because, they said, the ST's replacement/redesign was coming out in a year or so. In so many words, Ford said, "We have nothing on the market right now to compare with the vehicles you are running in this test. We've had 4 or 5 years to get it right, but it's just not there yet. Here's a note from our engineers excusing us from the competition".

Good point. Ford was way too ashamed to give them an '07 prototype. The independent rear suspension, no limited-slip, and the stubby rear axles going through the little frame holes would have made the '07 finish dead last. They should have at least given them an '05 so that the Ford could have whooped the Colorado and not been dead last in the comparison.

Honestly, I dont blame Ford. The redesign was on its way, they sell all they make with no advertising. Why invest the money to sell vehicles that will sell themselves.

This argument doesn't hold up well. Ford could easily build many more SportTracs if they sold better. The St. Louis Hazelwood Explorer plant is being shut down due to low demand of the Explorere. If the demand were there for the SportTrac, Ford could have easily kept the plant open to either build more 2/4 door Explorers in St. Louis to allow more Tracs to be built in Kentucky, or they could have reconfigured the St. Louis plant for SportTrac only, and built tons more in a plant that was already paid-for and well-staffed with experienced workers.

I do still like my '03 Adrenaline, but I am realistic to see that Ford is really going down the hill fast, just like other domestic manufacutureres. The decisions they have made in the last few years in regards to which products they are going to make and which ones they are going to cut; the slipping product quality; the crappy dealer customer service; as well as the outrageous compensation of their executives running the company into the ground is going to kill Ford off in a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavin - "Get your pipes, chains, knives, and brass knuckles ready!"

Are you seriously advocating a physical confrontation to settle a discussion? Just like person who posted the item about driving around with paint ball guns ...... And you folks are calling ME childish/immature?!?! That's a laugh.

Ethan - "Nobody here gives a S&*t!!"

Well, obviously somebody does, or they would have never started this thread, or even replied to any of my posts.

Tom - "Hint, Hint: A 4x4 operates in 4x2 until you turn it off".

Did you mean... a 4x4 operates in 4x4 until you turn it off? Anyway, I misunderstood what you posted earlier....I thought you were posting something about the difference between buying a 4x2 and a 4x4. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Tom - "Honestly, I dont blame Ford. ....Plus, the Sport Trac has already been cmpared in other magazines. "

Like I said, I don't blame them either. No sense showing the worlds it's weaknesses. Is the RL perfect? Heck no, but Honda had no problem putting their vehicle head to head with it's competition, while Ford ran and hid. What vehicles was the ST compared against and how did it fair? I'm curious what article are you referring. Please post a link.

Tom - "Hw many years will it take Honda to either dump the RL or build a real truck?"

It already has. Now they may be tweaking/improving it in the years to come. And, when they do improve it even further.....it's gonna give the B3 an even bigger run for their money!

Gavin - "They should have at least given them an '05 so that the Ford could have whooped the Colorado and not been dead last in the comparison."

Exactly! Can't even place if you don't show up to the race.

STylin - "OMG, who started this?"

Holy crap....it was you! All your ST forum buddies get to thank you for this thread. Thanks by the way. This has been interesting/fun. It's good to see what other people think....don't you think.

Q - "Hey RLOwner, why would any company put an older model 2005 against a 2006?"

So, you are saying Ford, who had the last 5 years to perfect their ST was scared to put it against a first year vehicle? Why? Seems like if I had a vehicle that had 5 years of R&D, and somebody asked me to compare it to a brand new vehicle, I would have been there in a heartbeat. But, then again, I'm not Ford and Ford declined.

Q - "Eveyone here is happy with theirs, you are obviously not happy with your decision, and I can understand that."

Quite the contrary. I have been extremely pleased with my RL. I thought it might dissappoint in some way or another, but I have been pleasantly surprised, and it has been pretty much perfect. There are a couple more options I wish it had, but for the most part, I am very happy with my purchase.

Q - "You're just mad because..."

I'm not mad. I just don't like it when uneducated individuals start trashing something they don't understand.

Q - "ANd don't think for one second that anyone is thinking differently."

Everybody except the editors and Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Consumer Reports, etc., etc. Did I mention the RL got Truck of the Year? Maybe I have.....I forget.

Q - "EVEYONE who has a real truck is pointing at you, laughing at you, a man, driving a girly van with a bed."

Except for that guy who pulled up next to me in the '04 F-150 and revved his engine (Asking for a little drag) last week. His engine coughed/hesitated as he stepped on it when the light turned green and I was 3 truck lengths ahead before he could say, "Oh, crap". The only thing he was pointing at was my tail lights as I pulled away. I don't think HE was laughing too hard. :D

RLOwner, after reading all your praises of the Ridgeline...

If you were Cindy Sheehan, you would have already convinced Bush to pull the troops out of Iraq.

You're happy and proud of the fugly bastard child of a crapalanche and a pilot, the best vehicle in the world according to you... And a narcissistic idea that all the world should agree with you.

What do you expect to read on an ST forum?

Praises for other vehicles?

Good for you, congratulations on your ownership, FOAD

Aw c'mon guys! I took his idea and decided to go onto all kinds of different enthusiast sites and tell them how much better my whatever is than theirs. FUN! I also threaten to stay there and keep the fun going until they all agree with me. BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Q – “And btw, have you EVER seen a 2005 vs. 2006 model year comparrison in C&D or ANY car/truck magazine?”

I did not realize that Ford decided to skip a year with the ST. I thought they had a 2006 model. But, as I have just learned, in fact there is no ’06 ST. My bad.

Q – “Ya, yer mad…”

Like I said, I am not mad. Maybe irritated a little by people who cannot have a civil discussion without name calling and personal attacks. But then, I just consider the source and it doesn’t bug me any more.

Q – “The tutu is fluffy, is feels good on the skin….”

How would you know that?!?

Q – “? I imagine the F150 was a 1984 model with a 6-cylinder. Wow, you should feel better now. It's still a woman's van-with-a-bed.”

Read my post again. It was an ’04 F-150, with a V8. Now, I know what your next question is going to be, how would I know what year and what engine it had. I know because one of my neighbors has the exact same truck.

Fer – “What do you expect to read on an ST forum? Praises for other vehicles?”

No, I do not expect that. What I do expect is for people to act in a rational and civil manner during a discussion. Obviously the some ST owners do not know what those two words mean. Besides, read all of my posts, I have not trashed the ST once. I may have expressed my opinion; which is I believe the RL is the better of the two vehicles, but I have not trashed the ST. It is your forum buddies who get a thrill from trashing another vehicle and then running away and hiding. I did not start this discussion; I only joined it to see if I could have a civil point-counter point discussion. As I said, obviously that is not possible here.

Fer – “FOAD”

Do you kiss your significant other with that mouth?!?

Fred – “I also threaten to stay there and keep the fun going until they all agree with me”.

Again, that is not what I said. I didn’t say I would stay until everybody agreed with me…. What I said, as soon as you ST owners stop trashing the RL, I would go away. Not so hard, is it? Seems like with all the references to “FOAD” and the like, that is what you folks want.

Personally, I don’t understand the open hostility against any vehicle, be it a ST, RL, F-150, Silverado, Dakota, or whatever. I mean, you guys really need to lighten up. It’s not like I have been insulting your mother. I am just trying to have a discussion about the finer points of the vehicles we have chosen to purchase. That’s all.

RLOwner says:
Personally, I don’t understand the open hostility against any vehicle...

What? Are you serious?

There are guys on this board that live and breathe their ST, and a few (for better or worse) seem to be defined by their truck, as if it exists just for them and they for it.

And you don't understand the hostility.

I said this before, you are on a site devoted to STs and frequented by ST *ZEALOTS* and *FANATICS*.

Don't expect them to sit around and sing Kumbaya and hold hands as ST competitors are showcased.

TJR

I just love people who have the mentality that they feel that their place is to change how people talk on the Internet. RLowner, why the hell does this site bother you so much? Oh, because some like to talk trash about a vehicle and you feel it in you to be the voice of reason?

soon as you ST owners stop trashing the RL, I would go away

You are pathetic. PATHETIC! Oh, come on!! That just cracks me up so much!! You will leave when we all stop talking trash about the RL... uh, you mean we can't talk bad about another vehicle. Oh boy! I hope the Avalanche forum guys don't send over their foreign affairs minister and start preaching to us!! Oh, what about the Baja people? I hope an owner of a Baja doesn't just stop by and start correcting us.

I will say this again: Get a life. Go home and tend to what really matters to you. But then again, if a life consist of roaming the Internet trying to talk sense into people who call your truck names.. well, then I guess you do have a life.

Are you the type that just has to pipe in on everything you disagree with? I mean, if someone called you something you're not, do you go over to his or her house and try to talk reason?

You're on a ST site. Welcome! If you are tired of us, get out. If you don't like the fact we don't like another vehicle, get out. Being you're becoming a pain in the a ss to this site, get out!

Move on! Move on!

Well the Ridgeline was nominated and lost. The Pilot won though, and the Odyssey.

Edit: Now I have the hard copy of the mag, in the online article, they do not mention that the RL was a nominee, so:

A: Honda made them retract the RL as a nominee since it isn't a pickup, and/or was unfairly matched against other pickups.

B: The editors were confused by the Odyssey and Pilot winning, so they thought it was an RL.

C: Honda influenced the press.

Too bad the RL isn't Pilot, Oddysey, pickup, or truck.

Here's a pic of the hard article:

[Broken External Image]:

Whoa....another flurry of replies....where do I begin.

TJR - "I said this before, you are on a site devoted to STs and frequented by ST *ZEALOTS* and *FANATICS*."

I have no problem with people being Fanatics or Zealots. As a matter of fact, I admire people who have solid convictions and stand by their beliefs....but does that make them (Language, etc.) any less offensive? Nope.

TJR - "Don't expect them to sit around and sing Kumbaya and hold hands as ST competitors are showcased".

Is that what you guys normally do, sit around and sing Kumbaya and hold hands? Hey, what ever floats your boat.

Q - "Looks like you're the one geting the education."

That's how I was brought up. A real man admits his mistakes. Yes, I have learned some about the ST. Actually more than I cared to know. I'm sure you know more about the RL now, too, don't you? That's all I am trying to do.....shed a little light into your dark and dreary world. I try and learn something new every day. So....mission accomplished for today.

Q - "Hey lookie there, he beat a sick truck...he prolly wasn't even racing."

It sure did look sick....especially after I blew his doors off.

MF - "RLowner, why the hell does this site bother you so much? Oh, because some like to talk trash about a vehicle and you feel it in you to be the voice of reason?"

This site doesn't bother me at all.....it's the way people think they have to talk to get their point across that is somewhat of a bother. Thing is, there's always tough talk on the internet, because most of the people who talk that way on the net are really little rats in real life. The only place they can talk tough and get away with it is on the net. Because in real life, they'd probably get the snot beat outta them if they talked that way to another human being. Talking to people on the net as you would in real life ......it's something called respect. Try it some time.

MF - "You're on a ST site. Welcome! If you are tired of us, get out. If you don't like the fact we don't like another vehicle, get out. Being you're becoming a pain in the a ss to this site, get out!"

No, really, MF tell me exactly what you want to say.... don't sugar coat it! Seriously.... no problem, I know when I am not wanted. Carry on with your ST lovefest.

Nobleman - "Now I have the hard copy of the mag, in the online article, they do not mention that the RL was a nominee"

I would have to take a minute and read the article, because I have not had a chance yet. But, the RL already beat out all the newest mid-sized trucks in a head-to-head competition (See C&D article mentioned about), so why would it need to be mentioned in this subjective article? The other article was a head to head and, from what I can see, this one is pretty subjective. Again, I would have to read it to have an opinion either way. Besides, I think if the RL ended up coming out on top on this review, C&D would probably be viewed as biased. Besides, it's a mid sized truck, not a full sized truck, so why would they compare it with the F-150, etc.? That doesn't make any sense. I'll have to check that article out.

It's funny.... when the media doesn't support your views they don't know what they are talking about....but when something is published that you like, they're friggin' experts.

MF - "Go home and tend to what really matters to you. "

That sounds like a plan. It was fun for a while but now.....it's getting a little boring....it's like an unstoppable force meeting an unmovable object. Besides, I came here for a discussion, not a name calling contest. As the old saying goes, "Never argue with an idiot. They'll pull you down to their level and beat you with experience". Not calling everybody here idiots....but there are a few....and you know who you are.

So, enjoy your ST's. Hope they get the explod

Latest posts