How bad is the economy?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Theresa is joining the working force again.

She started job searching 2 weeks ago. During that 2 weeks, she has had an average of 2 interviews a day with 4 job offers.

So, I don't know about your area, but there are jobs here in NE Ohio. Sure, they are not $20.00/hr jobs, but they are greater than $12.00/hr.

Tom

My buddies girlfriend just got hired shortly after starting the looking process also, she had 2 offers, not sure how many interviews she went on though. They are in Tampa, FL.

Jobs are everywhere if you have some marketable skill. You just have to be persistant and apply for all the jobs that fit you in the newspapers and even apply to companies that don't advertise...Often time the unadvertised job is the better job. Some companies don't want a whole lot of people who are not even remotely qualified applying for the job.

Some companies now use Employment Agencies to screen qualified candidates and if they see someone they like, they can work for a 90 day trial period and see if that person is right for the job. My last employer did that for most of our accounting people....were we had a lot of turn-over.

...Rich

I've "hired" three people in the last two weeks, one never showed up and the other two want to "think about it", i.e. my unemployment hasn't run out yet and I'd rather sit home.

I know nursing graduates who've been looking for work for over two years. I'm a nurse with supervisory experience and I've been looking for work for two years, too. Nursing shortage my ass.

Want to move to Dublin, GA Mark? There is definitely a shortage here.

Mark,

You should know how the hospitals are dealing with the nurse shortage. They only have half the nurese they work them twice as long so they don't have to hire another nurse and pay for all those additional benefits.

I worked at a local hospital for about 10 years and they would hire nurses for 12 hours on, 12 hours off just for the weekends and pay them more than their regular nurses were paid per hour, but they did not have to pay benefits or overtime, which was a bargain for them. They had nurses coming in from over 100 miles away, just to work 24 hours for the big money. Most had regular nursing jobs during the week. Their regular nurses were not offered those weekend hours?

...Rich

Its going on almost 7 months and no luck finding something in my chosen field. I'm a nurse with 30 years O.R. experience and their ain't nothin' around here. My resume is posted on internet job boards, have applied for positions outside of my training(armed security, amoured truck driver, janitor at the local nuclear power plant) and no luck, just those stupid responses "thank you for your interest, but we are going to pursue more qualified candidates" WHAT does it take to push a broom? Maybe I can sell myself, know any women looking for, ahem, a "handyman"? Bob

"I've "hired" three people in the last two weeks, one never showed up and the other two want to "think about it", i.e. my unemployment hasn't run out yet and I'd rather sit home."

i have had the same the past 6 months. :angry:

when i am down in florida, i check just to guage how things are going. the job market is not good in central fla. if there is any work it is 20 hours or less at low wages.

ny metro area is turning (slightly) around from what i can see.

You should know how the hospitals are dealing with the nurse shortage. They only have half the nurese they work them twice as long so they don't have to hire another nurse and pay for all those additional benefits.

I worked at a local hospital for about 10 years and they would hire nurses for 12 hours on, 12 hours off just for the weekends and pay them more than their regular nurses were paid per hour, but they did not have to pay benefits or overtime, which was a bargain for them. They had nurses coming in from over 100 miles away, just to work 24 hours for the big money. Most had regular nursing jobs during the week. Their regular nurses were not offered those weekend hours?

Yeah, a friend of mine works the two 12-hour days on the weekend at the hospital and makes more than she could make working a regular nursing job. She says it is really like working two 15-hour shifts because she has to stay 3 hours after her shift to do all the charting and paperwork. The hospital is so short-staffed she says the nurses have to run their tails off assisting patients their entire 12 hours, and there is never enough time to do the paperwork during the shift.

She loves just working two days a week and having all week off to spend with her kids, etc. The lack of benefits are no problem becuse her spouse has a great job with great benefits that cover her and the kids.

The whole nursing shortage seems like a crock, just like the so-called teacher shortage. There are gobs of licensed teachers and licensed nurses out there who are not working in their profession. if the pay and working conditions were better, there would be no shortage at all. Local hospitals around here recruit nurses from the Virgin Islands and other far away places because they can get people who will work under the bad conditions and relatively low pay for all the education required and huge professional resonsibilty/liability.

Like everything else, it is all about the money and who is in power to exploit who.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hospitals aren't making any money either. Medicare often doesn't pay them enough to cover costs and more people don't have any insurance and can't afford to pay anything. Once ObamaCare kicks in they will have even less money.

Look at your local newspapaer, when the number of pages of foreslosures outnumber the number of pages of help wanted ads we are still in a recession. It used to be the other way around....Thank you Community Re-investment Act.....

Bob C,

The problem with going after jobs that you are over-qualified for is the employer knows that you won't stay there when a higher paying job opens up in the field where you have the most experience. Also, many employers know that you would not be happy for very long doing meanial tasks.

I found the same issues with 40 years of computer software and project management experience. The can find some young kid just out of school who they can pay half the salary they would pay me or anybody with more experience. Also the computer field is noted for people for changing jobs about 3 years, because the old companies become stagnant pools of IT and there are other companies out there who are more cutting edge and implementing new technologies of the future.

...Rich

To fill in the time, I applied for a job at a convenience store. I was told I was underqualified because I never worked retail. Well, no shit. I'm a f*cking nurse. I then went to another convenience store owned by the same chain and was told I was overqualified. Apparently the manager didn't want people with university degrees competing with him.

Rich, thanks for the kind words. It doesn't solve the lack of work though.

Mark, I can empathize with you, I've even filled out applications with just a High School diploma....it doesn't work. Oh well, time for my midday nap!! Bob :banghead: :banghead:

Been looking since mid-May 2010. From June thru November, just 3 interviews, after sending out appx 300 resumes. It has picked up some since. Two pending as of today.

Some job descriptions specifically state "no more than" 5, 6, or so years experience. I have over 25. I've been getting the "going in another direction" type responses, which probably means I'm too old, or too expensive.

Cabin fever becoming terminal. Anybody need a credit/collections/analyst in the SF Bay Area?

One of the reasons employers don't like people with too much experience is that they often get set in their ways and cannot adapt to a new environment. I think most employers prefer a guy fresh out of school, or ones with just a few years of on-th-job experience. They are often younger, energetic and adaptable and don't have too many bad habits or opinions and demand less pay an benefits, especially if they are still single and do not have kids.

My last employer hired me specifically for my experience. He asked what I needed for pay, and I gave him a range of $10K where I thought the job should pay. The next day I was offered the job at exactly the middle of that pay range. 90 days later I was given a pay raise because my work in the first 90 days had already saved the company more than my annual salary. A year later I was given a huge pay raise. That year the company had the best earnings of all the 18 other companies and had the best safety record in the corporation

This company has people who worked there for 50 years and several were well into their 70's. One really nice guy just turned 80 and still working there.

So there are employers who want people with a lot of experience, but they are getting harder to find. They also may not start you at the top of the pay scale, but it is a job in your career field and once you get your foot in the door, and they see what you can do they will often offer you more money or promote you to a higher position when they clear out some of the dead wood.

...Rich

Here in the land of fruits and nuts,we have been hit hard by joblessness,but the main problem is the friggen fat out of work young lazy slob,no work ethic youth of today do not want to get there hands dirty.

are plenty of ways to make a living doing hard back breaking work and plenty of people with money to pay for it.

I gifted a friends son my log splitter,he follows tree trimming crews around,can get all the firewood he can haul for free,at 250 bux a cord the kid can make 500 bux easy per day.

But, he has to haul it,process it,deliver it,stack it (for another fee) but it is damn hard work.

poor kid has lost 30 lbs,eats like a horse and sleeps well at night,but he works 7 days a week,12 hrs a day.

I live in a retirement community,mean average age is 76,when I have time from my real job,I clean gutters (50 bux for a single story home) takes an hour max,I can clean gutters all day in the winter if I wanted to.

I detail golf carts ,are hundreds of them where I live,is the main source of transportation around the hood.

Have more work than I can do if I want it,don't tell me about joblessness.

Is tons of work to be had,but it is not glamorous work,it is not easy money,you get dirty,you get tired,you beat up your hands alot,but it is work,ANY work is good work,any work is good for the body and soul,any work well done can be a great source of pride and accomplishment.

Just do it.

It isn't going to get better until Obama is gone. His "get around legislation by regulating policies" are keeping people jobless.

Latest posts