How often is too often?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melody Owens

Reaction score
Can you over wash a car? Is it ok to wash every other week? And wax once a month? How often should all of this be done? I want to keep my ST is pristine condition, no matter the cost/time it takes. How often should it be washed/waxed/clayed? I just got my 05 on Wednesday, and already has water spots, so she's getting washed/waxed this evening...but how soon can I do all that again? I know the clay thing takes hours, so I won't be able to do that very often, say once a month if I'm lucky. Is that ok, or is even once a month too much? I've never had a car I had to detail, so I am new to all of this! Thanks so much everyone, and as I said in my other post, you guys are awesome...thanks for all the great info!! :D

*Melody*

Welcome to the Sport Trac family, Melody!:D

First, I don't believe you can ever wash a vehicle too often. Wash it as often as you feel is necessary to keep it clean. I'd recommend getting the Mr. Clean AutoDry system to wash with. It is very easy to use and leaves no water spots.

As far as using a clay bar, it really doesn't take that long at all. One, two hours at the most. How long was your Trac sitting on the dealer lot prior to you purchasing it? If it sat a while, you might want to using a clay bar prior to the first wax. Even while sitting out in the open on the dealer lot, it could've picked up some contaminants in the paint. Just follow the instructions included with a clay bar kit and it won't take you long at all. Too see how well a clay bar works, do half of your hood and then feel the difference between the two. It's amazing. You use a clay bar as often as you want also, but just realize that every time you do so, you'll have to wax also, because it strips the wax.

Good luck, and be sure to post some pictures of your new Sport Trac.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The paint, especially the dark ones, are susceptible to swirls that are inadvertently created after a wash. I don't think there is a way to prevent this but you can start with proper cleaning techniques with the proper products to minimize it all.

I wash my Trac maybe every other month and have waxed her four times in a year. After hand-drying, I notice the swirl marks increase since the last wash. This may also be a result of the wax being washed off subsequently exposing the swirls that were already there. I use Meguiars NXT soap and polish, wash-mitt and microfiber towels from Autopia, and use two buckets during wash (one for soap, the other for rinse). I wash the Trac from the top down being extra careful in the lower areas where grime has built up. I make sure I don't rub this grime into the paint.

Washing and waxing the Trac will easily span an entire weekend since I must do it outdoors, which means work is limited to during the early morning and dawn. The Trac will get too hot around noon and is counterproductive to cleaning and detailing efforts. I wish I could wash my Trac more often but it's just too impractical and I have grown tired of spending an entire half-day at least, cleaning it. Plus I don't havea garage to park her in and when I go to work early next day the morning dew becomes a dirt magnet. Really, I can't win. LOL.

Flip - I can't agree more about the time requirement. After a while, you lose the will to be as meticulous as you originally were. I know I did.

However, I will add a little to your swirl discussion. It *is* possible to remove swirls from a dark vehicle through the use of a buffer. For example, I use a Porter Cable 7424 (about $125 on autopia-carcare.com, my favorite detailing store online [not counting Zaino's order form]) and can remove about 75-90% of all marring and scratches. However, with a dark color, they come back almost immediately. It's not a case of shoddy buffing, but rather a case that it takes nothing to scratch any finish. As Flip said, with darker colors, it shows much more easily and often. Moreover, with any buffer, and despite Autopia and PC's claims, it IS possible to burn (haze) your clearcoat with a PC buffer. I know - I did and had to correct it.

My advice to you is to be a shade tree detailer during the year and visit a professional detailer once per year, if the funds permit. You can easily handle the washing, waxing, claying, and cleaning if an interior. However, if you don't want to jump into the realm of buffing it yourself, a professional with an electric or air-driven high speed buffer can make your clearcoat shine and be as pure as when Ford painted it (there's a joke in there somewhere re: Ford's "pure" paing). Because buffing essentially removes paint (albeit a micro amount), there's no need to do it more than once per year unless you're using the Trac as a show vehicle. Even with my PC, I only buff it once per year.

Good luck with your new ride.

Thanks everyone!! I guess I better head to the auto store and get some clay then (I can get it there, right?) I just went to Target and got a sheepskin mitt, "The Absorber", Maguiars "Quik Detail", and Maguiars Tire shine stuff...what do I use to clean the wheels, regular car soap? I got a sponge for the wheels, so I dont use the mitt, and have it collect dirt. I'm almost nervous about washing this thing now, I dont want any swirls or scratches in it! And I believe it came into the dealership about a month and a half ago, beginning of June, but not 100% sure about that. I like the two bucket idea...I already bought one bucket, I'll go get another one! Is there any special stuff to put on the wheels to keep the dirt & brake dust off? Thank you all again sooooo much! :D

Melody

Nah, it won't void your warranty. But you might get some ruffled feathers around here if you wash it more than they do!

Washing it more than once per week will void a warranty unless you put a decal of Calvin peeing on a Chevy bowtie on your rear window. That'll reinstate the warranty and add 13.7663 horsepower at the shocks at 5900 RPM with a tailwind.

:blink:

:unsure:I would like to know what to use on the tires. Everything I have tried collects dust, especially after a trip on a dirt/sand road. Any help appreciated.....

Ok...this is what I have bought so far (and spent nearly $100) :) Mothers California Gold Clay Bar, Maguiars NXT Tech Wax, Maguiars Gold Class wash soap, Maguiars Hot Shine Tire stuff, Maguiars Quik Detailer, a sheepskin wash mitt, microfiber towels and wax applicator pads, The Absorber (2), a wash sponge for the wheels (someone tell me if this is ok before I use it!), 2 water buckets (one for soap, one for rinsing)...I think thats it! I already have 2 California water blades. I think thats it...can anyone think of something I missed? Is it ok to wash the wheels with the regular car soap? Now since my bumpers are plastic, what can I do to make sure the wax doesnt get on them? Can I tape them? Thanks again for all the info! :D

*Melody*

Melody,

The CA Water Blade isn't a no-scratch item, despite the manufacturer's claims. You'll be better served if you pick up some waffle-weave Micro Fiber drying towels. They hold an immense amount of water and are quite clearcoat safe.

I am a fan of MFs from http://www.pakshak.com. You can get a discount if you're a member of Autopia (www.autopia.org), a free to join and use car detailing message board and learning resource.

I wash mine once a week, with no ill effects.

Sounds like you have a good start Melody. You made good choices in cleaning supplies. I agree about the water blade though -- I'd get a refund on that. The Meguiar's Hot Shine is awesome stuff, and it doesn't attract dirt like the others, or splash all over your fenders.

I use the Quik Detailer after every wash. It makes my black ST shine better than the day I bought it. :D

[Broken External Image]:

Do a search and look for posts from a guy called longarm. He's the only one I know who would take his roof rack off to clean under it! He has passed on, though, and bought something else to drive.

Edit: Although if I remember right he wasn't a fan of Meguiars!

Ok, no water blade...I used "The Absorber" to dry it...is this ok? I just got done about 10 minutes ago (its now 9:05), I started at 7:00, and barely got half the truck done. I washed it and clayed the driver side doors, left front fender, and half the hood, and I washed my dog while I was at it! Getting up early tomorrow to finish the rest (hopefully). Thank you all again for all the help! I will definately check out Autopia, see if there's any other pointers I am missing...have a great one! :D

Melody

Jeezzzz !! Melody !! You defiantly got the bug ....LOL !! The only I can think of you missed was a California Duster. It will help keep your Trac looking good in-between washing, especially during spring when pollen can drive you nuts.

Latest posts