How to make Exhaust Louder...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Teitell

Reaction score
I reecently purchased a Flowmaster 40 Super Series and just had it installed. It is not as loud as I thought or would like it to be. It seems to be very quiet unless im between 2000 and 2500rpm's. I like the sound in between those. I hate the fact that after 2500rpms it just disappears and can not be heard anymore. Is there anyway to make it louder. I heard changing out the Cat. converter might make it louder, or getting intake which i will be getting soon anyway. I want to make it louder without just changing it to a straight pipe, any ideas? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Intake, Highflow cat, and pre-catless Y-Pipe. Did you replace just the muffler, or did you install an entire catback system? If you just replaced the muffler, get the resonator removed. It looks like a second mini muffler near the axle.

I got just the muffler changed and i forgot to say i did get the resonator taken off, my bad. This may sound stupid but what exactly is a highflow cat(just a better cat. converter?) and what are catless y pipes(Is that just taken the cat. off?)

Instead of the stock cat. converter assembly which actually has 2 cats, it's 1 performance highflow unit. In fact, Todd Z just posted that he installed one, and has a video link to compare before and after. The Y-pipe is a replacement Y-pipe that doesn't have the pre-cat on each end. It goes between the exhaust manifold and the cat. Both are made by Random Technologies, and are available through Wayne Foy at Hypnotic Illusions Automotive.

I'm only 17 and just looked at the price for these items, and i can't afford them:angry: Would it make any difference if i took off one cat so i would be left would one. i just want it to be loud, haha:p

To make it louder, you'd probably have to just eliminate the muffler and get an exhaust similar to Jeff C's. As far as eliminating a cat, they're both on one piece, so the only way you could "eliminate" one would be to hollow it out. Check out Jeff C's profile (his exhaust folder in his library) I think he has soundclips. Remember, it is still a V6...

I have the flowmaster 40 with dual outs its great soudning to me, sounds like you just might have the resonator still on there?

Ya i made sure and had the resonator cut off and i watched them install it and seemed like they did everything right, but even my friends think it sounds stock unless im between 2000-2500 rpm's and after that it just goes quiet and non-existent. Pisses me off becuase i got it to be loud not quiet haha.

LOL. When I was a teenager (a long time ago) I did exactly what Nelson suggested. Drilled holes in my muffler. It sounded so cool. :D

Glad you don't live in my neighborhood. I hate loud exhausts. Or at least I did after I got past the age of 18.

What other mods do you have??...

And how loud do you want it.. Crazy loud? Than just remove the muffler...

If you don't have an intake, or a chip/flasher the truck will not be as loud because of that..

You have to get the back cat removed Either cut it out or get the Random tech one, get the y-pipe or your front cats cut out, and make your exhaust pipe from 2.25 inches to 2.5 inches.

Even as loud as my st is, cruising in the highway it is as quiet as most stock cars... It is just the way the fuel injection works and that the little fact is it is only a 4.0 v6..

Todd Z

At the moment the only thjing i have is a drop in k&n air filter but i am about to get a mac intake, i will try anything within my budget to get it louder.