I have two different control arms on my ST left/right

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
Doing the brakes on my truck yesterday I noticed that I have two different types of control arms. Is this normal or do I need to take the truck back to the dealer and start a war?

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]::blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me like the previous owner(assuming you bought it used) had some trouble with one of the control arms and switched it with a new one. I don't know if it's worth starting a war over but it may be something you might want to question them about. You probably won't get a straight answer but you never know.

When I bought the truck I told the dealer it was wrecked because I noticed the front end was replaced, so I told them I wanted a carfax report on it, they gave me a three page report, when I asked where the rest of it was they got defensive and said that was all of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you have the exact same setup as every other 1st gen Sport Trac ever built. Ironically, it is the same setup as the 1996 to 2001 Explorer's and 2001 to 2003 Explorer Sports.

Tom

Its supposed to be different?

It is highly unlikely that every Explorer, Sport, and Sport Trac had someone swap out one side right at the factory. perfectly normal. Nothing to worry about.

Tom

Yes, IT is NORMAL....... IT is for the Caster adjustment as Dan said....

Here is mine on my 03....

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

I think some of the aftermarket ones are that way. You can get more caster and camber adjustment.

Never heard of it to be normal for oposite sides to be different. I say either replaced in the wreck or upper ball joint went bad on that side.

I think they replaced it along with the frontend sheetmetal when it was wrecked by previous owner. Question I have is when I go to get the truck alligned will that screw me because one side has the adjustable arm and the the doesn't?:unsure::huh:

It shouldnt matter on getting it aligned. As long as all the suspension parts are in good working condition. It would have been nice if they would have replaced the uppers in pairs. It would give the alignment tech more adjustment to work with, if needed.

The one side adjustable and the one side not was the way it came from the factory..

Todd Z

Todd, what was the purpose? My '04 is not built that way.

Cost control.

Your 04 is built that way too. They were all built that way.

The reason is that one wheel is set in one position and the other wheel can be brought to the same position as the fixed side is.

Tom

Tom,,I differ with you on that. I looked at mine as soon as I read this thread. Both of my uppers are the non-adjustables. I can take pics tomorow, if you like.

Latest posts