I may possibly need a new throw-out bearing for '01 manual 5 spd.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long a you are going in there, I would do the T-out bearing, Slave cylinder, New Clutch, and have the flywheel resurfaced.

One of those jobs that is mostly labor, parts aren't that pricey. So if you are going to rip it apart, do everything..........IMO.....

cheers,

Rodger,

I would also do what AndyG said. Then you have a complete set-up and you don't have to regret not doing something when you had everything apart.;)

The centerforce may be good for pulling a boat but from most of what I have read, life expectancy will be radically reduced, on top of that the CF is a pretty heavy clutch which will make it really uncomfortable in stop-n-go traffic (at least). These details come from reading not experience. Many who race their rangers, and explorers still use factory clutches and are very happy with the way they perform.

I did mine in Feb. and went with a Borg Warner Brute Power kit and slave cylinder. Came with the clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing and clutch guide. Cost was about $230 for the kit, slave was another $60-$70. Did the install myself. I like the set-up, feels similar to stock, though time will tell how well it will hold up.

If your interested I have a new factory slave cylinder, newer model, I'll ship to ya for $60.

Thanks Ed, That's the kind of info. that I was looking for. After going through 3 master/slave chlinders I am a little shy of the factory ones. I'll have to think about it.

Part nos. for the Brute Power Kit & Slave Cylinder, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodger, Clutch kit is 90647. RockAuto.com lists it for $250. As far as the slave RockAuto also has one listed but it doesn't state the brand. I can't verify the slave cylinder from my guy as he's not in the shop, but from what I remember it was also a Borg Warner product.

You may also want to check with these guys <a href="http://specclutch.com/"target=top>Spec Clutches</a> as well. They make performance parts though it will be a bit more expensive. I don't have any reference to give you on these guys, I only know what I have asked them directly but they say the product is similar but better than stock parts.