Jeep Envy.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, I would like to know what performance modifications would you do in order to be competitive with Jeep Cherokee XJ's. I really hate Cherokees XJ's but, I have to admit that they are so easy and cheap to make them strong,to upgrade and get the HP and torque they can make. Any suggestions?

The 4.0 in the Jeep is a little torque monster by design, and the XJ also has a straight axle in the front. That is a pretty unbeatable set up, as the straight axle makes lifting the Jeep much cheaper than the Sport Trac. However, you can't put a body lift on the jeep (because of the unibody), but you can on the ST, so that is one big plus if you are going for off road capability by adding bigger tires.

Brett

The Trac is at a bit of a disadvantage because it is larger and has a longer wheelbase. Without spending an insane amount of money, I would do the following:

4" Superlift.

Powertrax No-Slip front diff....if you can find one. I've heard they quit making the model we need.

Powertrax No-Slip rear diff.

33x12.50-15 BFG Mud Terrains.

4.56 gears.

Ford Acessories fuel tank skidplate.

Adapt a Ranger FX4 front skidplate (see Member Projects).

With all the above, it will pretty much climb trees if you drive it right.

If you DO want to spend an insane amount of money, check out Dixon Brothers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts