Keep your Ford a Ford!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
meispizza,

Very true. At the same time, a quick search on the net and you can find a 5% off discount. That will bring the price down to $16.57 plus the $5.90 shipping and you now pay 22.47. Lets figure sales tax on the $30.38. I pay 6.25% sales tax. So the price of 30.38 is actually 32.38. By buying it at rockauto.com you save $9.87.

At the same time. If the dealer pays 22.00, how can rockauto.com sell it for less then the dealer cost? Wouldn't you think it would be better as an employee of the dealer to buy the Motorcraft belts from RockAuto, get it cheaper, then sell it for a larger profit margin?

Where do you get 7 to 10 days? When I order parts, I get them in 2 to 3 days. I swear to god I am not lying, I ordered stuff at 8 AM on friday and it was at my door saturday.

BTW, Theresa works for a dealership. I get her employee discount. On average, dealer markup is about 50%, or so the dealer employee discount is 50% off list. I highly doubt the dealer would sell the items to employees at a loss.

There was an autoparts store called H&H Auto Parts. They were a Motorcraft warehouse, or so they told me, but I could get the parts for half the cost of the dealership. They now belong to NAPA and I no longer deal with them since I can't get Motorcraft parts from them.

I do agree though, anymore, the dealer has to compete with auto parts stores. The DIY autoparts are big. The days of the "service stations" are gone, so the DIY stores like NAPA, Autozone, Carquest, Advance, etc. are big and can buy bulk. That puts a hurt to the dealerships because they have a reputation of being higher then everyone else.

Tom

I don't mind spending good money at a local dealer, but my Ford dealer takes forever to get parts in that he has to order. Worse yet, the service people in general lie on their work orders about work that is never completed, and they often use the wrong parts or oil. Then they lie about it, even though it is in writing on the repair order.

Ford may charge more for parts, but their bigger problem is that their dealerships 1.) don't know what they are doing half the time, and 2.) lie to their customers.

BTW: My dealer has lots of service awards, Blue Oval, Q-1, Factory approved, lots of training certificates, ASE, etc, and they still SUCK.

As a dealer, the quickest way to get your name changed from "Joe Blow Ford" to "Joe Blow's Used Car Emporium" is to stop buying your parts directly from Ford and start sourcing them from the internet to stock your shelves. Wal*Mart sells the same oil filters in the same boxes I do for less than dealer cost. How can they do it? Let's say all of the dealers in the Seattle area where I live buy a hundred-thousand filters per year combined. Wal*Mart probably places orders directly with Ford for that amount 10 or 11 times a year. Like I said, Ford is interested in taking care of Ford. If every dealer's parts department in the country went out of business, Ford would just start stocking Autozone and Car-Quest's shelves and never miss a beat.

As far as the 50% markup, well I sure as hell don't make that where I work. At month end if my profit percentage is around 30% I get may hand shook and a pat on the back by my manager. I sell tires and Motorcraft to for 10% over cost just to stay in business. Blue-box parts I can get away with 30-35% markup.

Anyway, I'm not hatin' on you, Tom (or anybody else) My intention wasn't to start an argument. Besides, that little cartoon chick that Truc Trac posted makes it all worth it!

meispizza,

The blue box parts are Ford Service parts. Those are closed market parts and are only available from Ford. Am I right?

I know you aren't angry with me. Being the person I am, it wouldn't mater if you did. :p

I just don't understand how some dealers will sell Motorcraft parts for 50% off retail, if the markup is only 30%.

FWIW, I only use Mototcraft Brake Fluid. I read more then one article in Motorhome magazines that when it comes to Ford's braking systems, there is nothing better then Motorcraft brake fluid. Go figure.

Tom

meispizza ----

Thanks to you for responding to the posts. Most would have bailed out by now.

I am not a DIY'er, I quit doing that years ago. When I have work done, I know I am probably being screwed; by labor cost or parts cost, no matter where I go.

I do know, when I go to the Ford place and need a simple part, they do not have it. Why not go somewhere else. I can go several places that do not have it, I don't, so why go to Ford. I can go to someone that has it and probably cheaper.

Terry

Scott,

You must be the only person in the world that pays sales tax on your income tax return.

Tom

State of Washington, for business, you have to pay sales tax on items purchased out-of state for business purposes. Since, I buy parts for the ST and categorize them as "Advertising", I do have to pay sales tax on them with my quarterly business sales tax filing.

However, I never heard of paying sales tax on items with personal IRS filings.

Thanks,

SST

Scott,

States have already tried to pass it. It has failed many times. It is too much of a burdon on a seller and it will stifle buisness.

Tom

I guess the dealers and Ford just have to answer to the competition. I heard on the oil forum a few months ago that Ford quit selling Motorcraft oil to Wal-Mart because of the complaints the dealers were getting about what they were charging when Wal-Mart was $1.99. Although I see it's back at Wally-World. Local Valvoline Qwicky-Lube, if you go in and need 5w-20 oil, he doesn't give you Valvoline, you get Motorcraft that he buys at Wal-Mart for less than Valvoline will sell him their oil. :lol:

Gotta say the Ford Leather And Vinyl Cleaner is great stuff and not very costly. Been using it for a couple of years now.

Scott,

Maybe you don't understand. The state can not enforce a law if the federal government says they can't. That is a fact.

I could care less about state sales tax. Sales tax is double taxation and is technically illegal.

Every law a state passes to close a "loophole", three ones open up. Eliminate a sales tax and increase my income tax (I am talking about a state income tax) and the loophole and any possible loopholes will be closed.

Tom

Oklahoma calls it a usage tax. If I were an Oklahoman, I would have to pay sales tax on any internet purchase I made. I don't purchase many things online though, since most things are available to me locally at a reasonable price.

If I did buy something on line, I still couldn't pay the tax, since The Soldier and Sailor's Relief Act allows me to remain a Floridian. Florida does not have State Tax returns. I do however, pay a small fortune to Oklahoma through gas taxes, property tax on my home, and sales tax at local retailers. I figure the tax on items I might have bought online would amount to less than $15 in the past two years -- hardly worth the effort for me or Oklahoma.

As far as keeping my Ford a Ford, I buy the best part for the best price, regardless of the source. If Ford wants me to keep my vehicle all OEM, then they will market superior parts and a reasonable price. If the best part is made in Korea or Japan, then so be it.

meispizza,

Price is not the only issue when buying replacement parts. I'm sure some company in China could make most parts for the Sport Trac or any vehicle and sell them here for a lot less money than Ford sells the same part.

In addition to price, there are many high quality parts availabe with far better warranties than Ford offers on anything they sell. It's possible to by many rebuilt parts that are as good or better than new that carry 50K mile warranties and even Lifetime warranties.

And finally, the prices you quote may be what your dealership sells the parts for, but not necessarily what all dealers change. When I buy parts at my local auto parts stores, I can get about a 15% discount on anything I buy, but I have never been offered a discount at any New Car Dealership's parts counter.

...Rich

Ohio is working hard to figure out a cost effective way to make its citizens pay sales and use tax on out of state purchases (made on the internet or otherwise).

Most state income tax forms have a line item for out of state purchases that you are supposed to voluntarily pay.

The problem is that most people do not keep track of their out of state and internet purchases to report.

The exception to this is if you pay sales tax in the state you purchased it then you do not pay sales tax to your state.

Here is a link taken from the Ohio Dept of Taxation website on their efforts to make you pay "your fair share". There are also 17 other states that feel their citizens need to pay "their fair share" also.

You have to love Caymen:
I could care less about state sales tax. Sales tax is double taxation and is technically illegal.

I don't want to get off on a rant here, but...

I am supposed to believe that all those states and counties that have sales taxes are breaking the law? And we just stand for it? Wow! Caymen for president...he will fix this problem!

Did you know there are many that say income tax is illegal? Their mantra is that income taxes are unconstitutional and only sales taxes should be allowed. Yet, Caymen, you said we should do away with sales tax in favor of income tax.

Wow...how can both sides be right?

Maybe issues like taxation and what is best for taxing people are simply very difficult and complicated (or have become so over the years), and blanket statements like "sales taxes are technically illegal" are simply hyperbole that helps no cause.

I do "think" (meaning it is my opinion, not presented as fact) that sales taxes are a more fair tax than income taxes, assuming all sales are taxed in a uniform manner from area to area (state to state).

Of course, I could be wrong, who wants pie?

TJR

Ok, first off Scott, I don't need you lecture from you. The feds have the final say-so to any law. If the feds say that it is too much of a burdon, it is too much of a burdon. If the state can find a loophole, then so be it. If it is legal, then they win. Till that happens, I make my own decisions and I stand by them and I don't care what you or anyone else thinks about me.

TJR, eliminate Income tax and only charge me sales tax. Single tax. If I pay tax on my money, then I should not have to pay tax on that money again. If I pay income tax, then I use that money, if I am not getting taxed twice, I don't know what is. There are alot of things states do that is illegal. Take VA, for example, Federal Law says I can recieve any radio signal that is broadcasted. <font color=red>RA</font>dio <font color=red>D</font>etection <font color=red>A</font>nd <font color=red>R</font>angeing is a radio signal and technically, under federal law, I should be allowed to recieve that signal. VA says I can't.

Again, many people know I dont really care what people think about me. Say what you want, I make my choics and let those without fault throw the first stone.

Tom

I'm just glad that Texas does not have a state income tax, only a sales tax. And it only applies to items that are purchased from companies in Texas. Coupled with my city taxes, I can save 8.25 cents on the dollar by purchasing something from another state. That's a pretty damn big savings. That's why I buy so much stuff online. Texas is trying to close that loophole but hasn't yet.

Welcome to the site meispizza. You have some valid points. You just got off on the wrong foot by mentioning the Ford shocks. That's a touchy subject on this site since they totally suck.

TomT,

So in other words, get ready to have TJR and Scott Simon call you a crook since you, like me, admit buying stuff online to save sales tax.

Tom

Hey guys, don't cloud the issues with facts. Some people like the little "reality" they have built for themselves. :)

I pay tax on my Ford parts, whether they are OEM or not. If I die and leave my truck to my daughter, she will pay inheritance tax on the entire vehicle again.

Latest posts