Keep your Ford a Ford!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott,

I thought about what you said about mods, then it hit me.

The thread started about a srepentine belt. I would not call a belt a mod, but more like if you don't have it, you dont drive. :D

No matter how little money you have, if you can can barely afford to put food on your table, you still need to find somewhere to buy a belt so you have something to drive to earn the meger wage you earn.

Tom

RichardL says:
I think you may be too nieve if you think the money you volountarily pay to your state's USE tax is actually going to help some poor person get food. I would be willing to donate that Use tax to a true approved charity rather than give it to the politicians to use as they see fit.

Hey, if I only paid the taxes that I felt I should pay and that I felt would go to good use and towards things that I see fit, then I would pay NO TAXES AT ALL.

But, I don't legally have that option.

TJR

How about increasing the minimum wage to $10 per hour; require all corporations with publicly traded stocks to limit the salaries of their most senior executive to no more than 10 or 12 times the salary of the lowest paid employee. These businesses will receive significant tax credits to possibly include no corporate taxes at all. Privately owned businesses would also receive the same tax breaks as the above if they followed the same policies. Also give businesses big tax credits for hiring more employees. Yes, it compresses the salary scale, but there are many benifits for the company that does that.

To reduce or eliminate poverty in the US we need to get everyone employed at a meaningful, well paying job that they can live on. The increase in the number of people paying income tax, and the increase in purchasing power will dramatically increase the State's Sales taxes, which would more than offset the reduction in corporate taxes, and goes a long way to reduce the expense of poverty in the US.

While some people say that it's not worth paying someone $10 an hour to sweep the floor, we pay for him and thousands more like him, to do nothing and collect unemployment, food stamps and other forms of welfare. Why not pay him to do something productive? You may find that he can do a lot more than just sweep the floor!

And why are we paying executives millions of dollars in salaries and perks when a couple of hundred thousand per year is plenty, and the extra money could easily be used to hire 50 more workers who actually contribute something. Most of the decisions that bring big corporations down are made by the highly over compensated executives who then cut the jobs of the people who are only following his directions.

The President of the United States only makes $200,000 a year and has more responsibility than any Corporate CEO.

Privately owned businesses are free to pay their CEO's etc, what ever they wish, so we are not stifling the creativity, genius, or talented individual. People are also free to go work for these private businesses and seek hire rewards. However I think their competitors who follow the salary guidlines and have a lower tax liability will have a distinctive advantage in many market areas.

Just some food for thought. :)

...Rich

The President of the United States only makes $200,000 a year and has more responsibility than any Corporate CEO.

Actually, the President's salary was raised to $400,000 while President Clinton was in office, but didn't go into effect until President Bush took office, as per the Constitution. Here's more info:

In September 1999, President Clinton signed legislation that increased the presidential salary to $400,000, effective January 2001. The Constitution prohibits pay raises for sitting presidents. This presidential pay raise was the first since 1969, when the president's salary was raised from $100,000 to $200,000. Adjusted for inflation, $200,000 in 1969 would be worth $930,232 today. On top of the salary and expense accounts, both the U.S. president and vice president are given free housing with plenty of amenities. The White House has 132 rooms, 32 bathrooms, a movie theater, bowling alley, billiards room, tennis court, jogging track and putting greens. Bush also has use of Camp David, the presidential retreat. Cheney lives in Number One Observatory Circle, which has been the official vice presidential residence since 1974.

Congress receives frequent pay raises. Since 1989 a cost of living increase takes effect each year unless Congress votes against it. Pay for the average member of Congress has more than doubled in the past 20 years. For example, the average salary in 1983 was $69,800 and $141,300 in 2000. However, if you were to adjust the 1983 salaries for inflation, members of Congress made $119,708 in 2000. As of January 1 2005, members of Congress make $162,100. The president pro tempore of the Senate and the majority and minority leaders of both houses are paid $180,100. The speaker of the House of Representatives makes $208,100.

Here's a list of some federal employees and their current salaries as of January 2005:

Executive Branch

President: $400,000; $50,000 expense account; $100,000 nontaxable for travel; $19,000 official entertainment account; free housing

Retired president: $150,000 pension; plus $150,000 to maintain staff

Former first lady: $20,000

Vice president: $208,100; $10,000 expense account; free housing

Presidential Cabinet member (i.e. secretary of defense, attorney general, etc.): $157,000

Legislative Branch

Speaker of the House of Representatives: $208,100

Senate president pro tempore: $180,100

Senate and House majority and minority leaders: $180,100

Other senators and representatives: $162,100

Judicial Branch

Supreme Court chief justice: $208,100

Supreme Court associate justices: $199,200

Circuit judges: $171,800

District judges: $162,100

I'm sure Clinton regrets that.

Congress passed the bill. Clinton just signed it into law, with no idea who his successor would be. And if he had attempted to veto it, I'm sure Congress had enough votes at the time to override him. It was something that was long overdue. I wouldn't want that job for all the money in the world.

In your "rant" RichardL you assume that we could put all the people that are currently poor and/or on welfare to work, pushing brooms and such for $10/hour.

Why would they want to do that? They can make even more if they just have another kid or two and stay home!

TKR

My error on the President's salary, I forgot that it was raised to $400K per year for G.W.Bush, but that's OK. I don't care what the the pay the CEO etc, just as long as he is not paid more than 10-12 times more than the lowest paid worker in the company.

As for stockholders wanting profits and willing to pay astronomical salaries to CEO's to do that will not need to pay all that money to CEO's. There are plenty of qualified, experienced people capable of doing a good job for a lot less money. I think the stockholders will find that they can make more money over a longer period of time with less peaks and valleys. Wouldn;t that be a refreshing change.

It has always been recommended that for long term profits that you buy stock in companies that are growth stocks and move up in price over many years of stable, consistant performance. The stockmarket over the past 15+ years is marked with extreme highs and extreme lows. This constant fluctuation has led to many of the stock market scandals and insider trading. Too many people are looking for a quick buck and to be instant millionaires.

For people who think they can stay home, have babies and collect welfare, that would be eliminated or reduced. If you are not legally handicaped or mentally retarded and cannot possibly do any work, you must be working. There would be tighter limits on unemployment payments, perhaps only for only a month or two at most.

If you are unable to find a job, you will be required to do community service work for the State, County or City. That could be mowing grass on government property, picking up trash on the sides of the roads, or even assisting other employees in goverment running errands, answering the phone, cleaning offices and restooms, etc, at the $10 per hour minimum wage. Some sort of Job-Corps could be established by each state.

Overall I think most people would prefer to work for an employer where this is some opportunity for pay raises, promotions, and the opportunity to learn skill or take some pride in a job that pays enough money to live on. That will help show them the value of an education and expose them to much better role models. That's the only way to break the poverty cycle.

...Rich

My error on the President's salary, I forgot that it was raised to $400K per year for G.W.Bush, but that's OK.

Just to be clear on this, the salary was raised during the previous administration without any knowledge of who would next be President, but didn't go into effect until the next Presidential term began.

I'd hate for any anti-Bush spinmeisters to attempt to use this against President Bush like they do so many other things. Not everything is his fault!:D

Andy,

I didn't mean that the President's salary was raised because Bush won the election. It had been aproved prior to the election so that who ever won would be the first to get the new salary increase.

Gavin,

I'm not aware of any arguing on this thread. Only some political debating and wishful thinking :D

...Rich

Latest posts