Lasik- Has anyone had it done?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have perfect vision, but a few years ago I won a Lasik Surgery package, which my (ex)husband used. (He wasn't an ex then, you think I'm that nice?)

He was 47 at the time, and was near sighted. Now he can see distances just fine but has a little trouble with things up close, so he uses reading glasses. The doctor warned him ahead of time that with his vision and age, that this would happen. Reading glasses are sure less expensive than prescription.

He'd do again. I know that some insurance pays for corrective eye surgery, depending on your plan.

Chris- I have performed several thousand LASIK procedures, and I still get a huge thrill at the "wow" factor my patients experience. If you are over 40, expect to wear glasses to read up close after the procedure.The newest, best procedure is known as "custom" LASIK and is available with the VISX and Alcon lasers- both are excellent in the right hands. Custom LASIK uses advanced wavefront optics to give more precise results and less chance of post-op glare- although I haven't seen that since the software upgrades to the lasers in 2001. Another option you may be offered is "bladeless" LASIK using the Intralase laser to make the flap in the cornea, rather than the traditional metal blade. Early results show slightly better results with the Intralase. Expect to pay $1750-2500 per eye for Custom LASIK, please avoid LASIK Vision Institute- thats the outfit that advertises $499/eye or some such nonsense- the procedure simply can't be done for that. Lasik Plus seems to be reputable, however. Above all, talk to your surgeon prior to the procedure and have all your questions answered. I'm sure it will be great! PS- I tried doing LASEK- my patients were in severe pain for days as mentioned above- end of experiment...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 1 eye done the first week of January 2005. It was almost $2000. I had no problems. I would recommend doing it in the winter, you can't rub your eyes afterward for a month or so. I could just imagine having it done during hay fever season.

I had 1 eye done so that when I am not older I should not need reading glasses. I was near sighted. I had my left eye corrected, my right eye was not changed. When I get older I can read with my right eye and see at distance with my left.

Latest posts