license plate bulbs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
Hey guys how the heck do you change the bulbs for the license plate! I got pilled over for not having my plate lit up! I have to replace them by the end of next week or I have to pay the ticket! I can avoid it if I replace them and go to the police station to show them I had them fixed!

I think the ST is like the Ranger:

"There is a screwdriver slot on the opposite side of the lens, the side you are looking at. You need to insert the screwdriver deep in order to push in the tab BEFORE you start prying the assembly off. Again, you need to push hard enough to release the tab first, then you can pry it out of the bumper. Once out, the socket only needs a quick quarter turn to remove the socket assembly from the housing."

Replace them with #194LL bulbs or LED equivalents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mark. I did a search here and realized after getting nothing......that I had searched with a big miss spelling :banghead: lol Yeah been a long day here. Any ways I figured it out and now to find someone with small girlish hands to get in there and get dirty! lol I tried but my arms and hands are just too big to get in there to do it.

I replaced them in my '04. From the back side of the bumper. Turn the fixture 1/4 turn counter clockwise. It will drop down. Mine had no tab to release. Then the the bulb is a pull it out and push new one in. replace fixture oposite of removal. It is in a tight spot for big hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Eddie I tried last night before the snow/rain hit and there is no way I'm getting my hands in there lol. I'm gonna have to see if my mechanic can do me a favor since I'm gonna be basically replacing the entire front end with him in the spring. He greased up my ball joints and did a quick inspection on them about a moth ago for free. He's a great mechanic to have handy!

Thanks Mark K! I looked at my lights last week wondering how to change them. After pressing my screwdriver in the slot against the tab it was still a tight fit pulling the assembly away from the bumper. :haveabeer: :banana:

Latest posts